IB Co-majors should meet with their primary major advisor each semester to plan their course of study.
The IB Programs Office provides supplementary advising, as needed, about IB co-major requirements, internships abroad, study away, and the IB Society. We cannot clear holds for registration.
Login to SAGE and find me in “My Success Network” and/or search my name in the search bar.
The IB co-major and your primary major can be completed in 121 hours with careful planning. Please see this handout for co-major requirements. Each major requires at least four courses that have been determined by the IB Committee as required coursework in their major. Please find your co-major pairing check sheet below. See the University of Georgia Bulletin for course information.
Ability to read, write, and converse in a second language sets the IB co-major apart from the crowd. Co-majors demonstrate this by studying a second language through the conversation level, typically a 5-course sequence if starting from beginner-level. Check the UGA Bulletin for modern languages taught at UGA to the conversation level (e.g., SPAN 3010, CHNS 3010, FREN 3010, GRMN 3010, ITAL 3010, JPNS 3010, PORT 3010, KREN 3001 among others). Some students, who have native fluency, may be able to waive this requirement (eligibility requirements).
Major Courses (6 credits)
- ECON 4040 — International Business Environment (Note: Economics majors take ECON 4550, International Trade, instead).
- MGMT 5560 — International Strategic Management (IB capstone class).
Major Elective (3-6 credits)
Choose one elective if ACCT, ECON, FINA, MARK, MGMT, MIST major.
Choose two electives if REAL or RMIN major.
- ACCT 4900 — International Accounting
- BUSN 4650 — Diversity in a Global Environment
- LEGL 4900 — International Legal Transactions for Business
- MARK 4700 — International Marketing
- FINA 4810 — International Finance
- INTB 4800 — International Business Internship for credit
- INTB 5100 — Special Topics in International Business (taught abroad)
- MIST 5780 — Globalization and IT (taught abroad)
Note: If your primary major is Marketing or Finance you must choose an elective outside of your major department.
- an approved, 3-credit study away program,
- an approved internship in a company doing global business, or
- two additional courses in the foreign language you are studying beyond conversation level.
Interested in adding the co-major to your existing Terry degree?
While we strongly encourage students to apply to the co-major when they initially apply to Terry, admitted Terry students may apply to add the co-major to their existing degree program. The application process follows the normal Terry admission schedule for fall and spring. Normal Terry admission criteria and any additional business courses you have taken may be considered alongside your statement of purpose.
Terry Study Away offers a mix of spring/winter break, Maymester, and summer programs that award credits used to fulfill BBA requirements. Terry students also have the option to spend a full spring or fall semester away at one of our prestigious partner universities through a student exchange program.
In addition to the Terry programs listed above, students have many other options to study away for credit. The Office of Global Engagement has a complete list of UGA-sponsored study away and exchange programs. Speak with a study away advisor for more information on credit transfer and how to apply.
The International Business Society is a student organization that promotes global interests, travel, and networking. Eligibility is open to all majors.