The Risk Management and Insurance Program offers a certificate program in actuarial science and is open to qualified undergraduate students, regardless of major. The Actuarial Science Certificate is designed to prepare students for a career as an actuary. Actuaries apply mathematical models to measure and manage risk. They work for and with businesses with a financial focus, such as insurance companies, banks, investment firms, government agencies, accounting and consulting firms. The program combines coursework in mathematics, probability, statistics, risk management, economics, and finance.
Once accepted into the actuarial science certificate program, you are eligible to join the two risk management and insurance student organizations, Insurance Society and Gamma Iota Sigma, and access the same benefits available to risk management and insurance majors who belong to these organizations, such as scholarships, resume book, careers day, and exam reimbursement.
This certificate program is open to all currently enrolled UGA undergraduate students. You must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.6 and a minimum grade of C in MATH 2250 and MATH 2260 (or equivalent courses) in order to apply.
The Actuarial Science Certificate Program meets the eligibility requirements of the Society of Actuaries for Universities and Colleges with Actuarial Programs, Introductory Curriculum, which means courses are offered for the two SOA preliminary exams, FM and P, and one VEE (Validation by Education Experience).
- MATH 2250: Calculus I for Science and Engineering (or equivalent)
- MATH 2260: Calculus II for Science and Engineering (or equivalent)
Students must take a minimum of 21 hours. A minimum grade of C (2.00) is required in the core courses (Part I) and the two course sequences (Part II).
Part I: Required Core Courses (9 Hours)
- RMIN 4000 Risk Management and Insurance
- RMIN 4100 The Theory of Interest
- RMIN 4200 Actuarial Probability Concepts or STAT 4510/6510 Mathematical Statistics I* or MATH 4600/6600 Probability*
Part II – Choose Two Course Sequences from the Following (12 Hours):
*Sequences 1, 2 and 3 fulfill education requirements of the Society of Actuaries
- RMIN 4800 Internship in Risk Management and Insurance (6 hours)
Or choose two courses from the following:
- RMIN 4800 Internship in Risk Management and Insurance (3 hours)
- RMIN 5100 Commercial Property and Liability Insurance
- RMIN 5110 Employee Benefits
- RMIN 5510 Life Insurance
- RMIN 5570 Insurer Operations and Policy
How to Apply
- Be sure you meet the eligibility requirements
- Complete the application through the link listed above
Note: Application requires MyID to log in.
- Application Periods
- June 1 – July 1
- September 1 – October 1
- February 1 – March 1
Notification of acceptance will be emailed approximately 2 weeks after each deadline.
Departments and Program Offices
Career Paths, Professional Designations and Exams
- Actuaries at UGA is the primary student organization at UGA dedicated in fostering the growth of potential actuaries. Meetings include networking events, company presentations, case studies, and informational presentations regarding actuarial exam prep, and requirements for professional actuary designations. To become a member, please send your request from your uga.edu email to our faculty advisor, Steven Pottier so you can be added to our listserv. You will then be updated on all future meetings and events!
- Insurance Society
- Gamma Iota Sigma
President – Griffin Ramsey
VP of Communications – Devin Gallagher
VP of Public Relations – Parker Taylor