As the demand for data analysts and scientists grows, there is a significant need for students in every Terry College major to have a firm understanding of quantitative, technical and business skills. Through the Area of Emphasis (AoE) in Business Analytics, students self-select into a set of well-defined analytic-based courses, serving as a signal to employers that Terry students learned the foundational analytic skills.
Contact your Academic Advisor for more information on the Area of Emphasis in Business Analytics.
The 12 hours of curriculum consists of an analysis and a programming component but will not change any required major field courses students take for any major.
The analytics component contains three statistic/econometrics courses of three hours each.
BUSN 3000 and BUSN 4000 are already required of Terry BBA students, while BUSN 5000 a new course.
(3 hours – Select two of the following courses)
- BUSN 3020E – Structured Query Language (SQL) Skills for Business Analytics (1.5 hours)
- BUSN 3030E* – Python Programming Skills for Business Analytics I (1.5 hours)
- BUSN 4030E – Python Programming Skills for Business Analytics II (1.5 hours)
- BUSN 3040E – R Programming Skills for Business Analytics I (1.5 hours)
- BUSN 4040E** – R Programming Skills for Business Analytics II (1.5 hours)
* BUSN 3030E is a prerequisite or corequisite for BUSN 4030E
** BUSN 3040E is a prerequisite or corequisite for BUSN 4040E
Students are required to earn an average 3.0 GPA to earn the area of emphasis. BUSN 4000 and 5000 must be taken at the University of Georgia, and an average grade of 3.0 achieved in those two courses. Passing marks (S or C or higher) must be earned in all courses.