All students benefit from learning business fundamentals. The business minor gives non-business undergraduates the opportunity to gain a basic understanding of these principles. This academic minor consists of five courses in accounting, economics, finance, management and marketing that provide students with crucial skills to complement their major and broaden their post-graduation opportunities. The minor in business is open to all UGA undergraduates, except those already admitted to a Terry College academic major or who intend to apply to a Terry major.
Application Eligibility Requirements
The minor in business is considered high-demand, and students may only apply for admission upon meeting entrance eligibility requirements. Please note that meeting these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the minor.
Fulfillment of all application requirements must be documented in official UGA student record by the application deadline — no exceptions.
- 3.2 UGA cumulative GPA
- 15 semester hours completed at UGA
In-progress hours cannot be counted.
- 45 semester hours completed overall at UGA and/or other institutions
In-progress hours cannot be counted.
- Prerequisite Courses: Students must satisfy an Accounting (ACCT) and Economics (ECON) requirement for the business minor. An eligible ACCT or ECON course must be completed by the application deadline; the other required course must either be completed or be taken in the same semester in which a student applies to the minor. Students may use earned AP/IB/transfer credit to satisfy the prerequisite course requirements; all credit — including transient credit — must be posted to your official UGA academic record by the application deadline.
– Accounting Requirement: ACCT 1160 or ACCT 2101 (3 hours)
– Economics Requirement: ECON 2105 or ECON 2106 (3 hours)
- Testing Requirements: Students are required to submit ACT or SAT scores and sub-scores to the University prior to being considered for admission to the business minor. In addition to required ACT/SAT scores, students may also supplement their application by submitting a score from the ETS Proficiency Profile if they believe their ACT/SAT scores do not represent their current performance level. If a student has not taken the ACT or SAT, they must take the ETS to be eligible to apply to the business minor. Minor applicants can take the ETS a maximum of three times while a UGA student. Scores from all ETS attempts will be reported directly to the Terry College from UGA Testing Services; the highest ETS score will be considered in a student’s application. IMPORTANT: Applicants should read the detailed Testing Requirement instructions.
When to Apply
Students may apply once they meet the eligibility requirements. Applications will be accepted twice per year: once near the midpoint of the fall semester and once near the midpoint of the spring semester. No application will be accepted outside the application window.
Fall 2023 Application Cycle
October 2 – October 23, 11:59 PM
Spring 2024 Application Cycle
February 26, 2024 -March 18, 2024, 11:59 PM
Minor Admissions Criteria
An applicant’s test scores, major, and grades in accounting and economics will be used in the selection process.
Completing the Minor
Only students who apply and are accepted to the minor are eligible to have the business minor listed on their university record. If a student is accepted to the minor and at any point decides to become a business major, they must drop the business minor. Terry College majors and intended majors are not eligible for the minor.
The minor requires 15 credit hours of courses in economics, accounting, finance, marketing and management. Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in all coursework to earn the minor, and all upper-division classes used to complete the minor must be earned from the University of Georgia to satisfy the minor residency requirement. The online (E) and Honors (H) versions of these courses will also be accepted.
- Accounting Requirement (3 hours):
ACCT 1160 – Survey of Accounting (3 hours)
ACCT 2101 – Principles of Accounting I (3 hours)
- Economics Requirement (3 hours):
ECON 2105* – Principles of Macroeconomics (3 hours)
ECON 2106* – Principles of Microeconomics (3 hours)
- Business Foundations (9 hours — courses must be taken at UGA**; only available to admitted minor students):
FINA 3001 – Financial Management (3 hours)
MARK 3001 – Principles of Marketing (3 hours)
MGMT 3001 – Principles of Management (3 hours)
*Courses taken to satisfy Core Areas I through V may not be counted as coursework in the minor. Students accepted into the minor should anticipate the need to replace ECON 2105 and/or ECON 2106 if those courses were previously used to satisfy Area V requirements.
**Equivalent courses completed through a non-UGA study abroad program will not be accepted (for example, credit for MARK 3000 earned through the University of New Orleans study abroad program in Innsbruck, Austria, cannot count).