What You’ll Learn | Who Should Attend | Program Information
Instructor | Continuing Education Information
Learn in-demand management skills and advance your career with the University of Georgia Project Management Certificate program
The Project Management Certificate gives you the essential knowledge and skills needed to progress in your career and become a better leader. Designed for a wide range of professionals and skill levels, this 36-hour program will prepare you to tackle simple and complex projects from start to finish, on time, and within budget. It also fulfills the project management education hours (35) required to qualify to sit for the Project Management Professional (PMP®) Certification Exam.
What You'll Learn
In this program, students will gain the fundamental knowledge and skills needed to be successful project managers. The class is aligned to the standards and practices outlined in the Project Management Institute (PMI)® A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), and other industry standards such as The Scrum Guide™.
At the end of this program, you will:
- Know the foundational concepts of project, program, and portfolio management
- Be able to initiate, plan, and execute a project using traditional and agile practices
- Understand the required leadership and management skills to be a successful project manager
Topics in the program include:
- Project management concepts, roles, responsibilities and lifecycle stages
- Practices and tools for successfully end-to-end project management:
- Selecting and initiating projects
- Planning scope, schedule and cost
- Managing change, risks, actions, issues and status
- Stakeholder and communications management
- Identifying, assessing and building stakeholder relationships
- Effective communications and meeting best practices
- Agile project management mindset, principles, methodologies
- Lean and Kanban
- Program and portfolio management concepts and strategies
- Project selection
- Program and portfolio governance and management
- Leadership and building high-performing teams
The class will be taught using formal, live-online lectures that include hands-on in-class exercises, and outside-of-class group case studies. The exercises and case studies reinforce the concepts provided in class and give students experience using the tools and practices.
Note: While this course may be helpful in preparing for the PMP exam, it is not designed to be a PMP exam prep class. Please check out the Project Management Professional PMP® Prep course to learn information, tips, techniques and learning strategies that will help you prepare for the PMP certification exam.
*PMI, PMBOK and PMP are trademarks of the Project Management Institute, Inc. which is registered in the United States and other nations.
Who Should Attend?
Students from a variety of backgrounds, industries and experience are welcome and will benefit from this program, including:
- People interested in becoming project managers and are starting careers in project management
- Managers, supervisors and individuals managing projects who have not received formal training and want to learn project management skills and processes
- Professionals in other fields who find themselves responsible for managing projects.
Continuing Education Information
Students will be awarded a Certificate of Program Completion for 3.6 UGA Continuing Education Units (CEUs) upon successfully completing the program and will be eligible to claim the following:
- Project Management Institute (PMI) PDUs: 26 Technical and 10 Leadership (36 total)
- Professional development credits (PDCs) awarded by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
Attendance Policy and Other Important Requirements
To receive the Certificate of Program Completion and Continuing Education Units (CEUs), participants must:
- Attend at least 85% of the scheduled live-online class sessions.
- Participate in all in-class and out-of-class learning activities.
- Earn a combined score of 72 points or higher for all course requirements.
During the live-online sessions, participants are expected to have strong internet service and a laptop/desktop computer with audio and video capabilities to fully interact with the instructor and classmates.