Ralph E. Steuer is the Sanford Family Distinguished Chair of Business in the Department of Finance of the Terry College of Business at the University of Georgia. He received an Sc.B. (electrical engineering) from Brown University, an MBA (accounting & finance) from Cornell University, and a Ph.D. in Business Administration (quantitative methods) from the University of North Carolina. Dr. Steuer is the author of Multiple Criteria Optimization: Theory, Computation and Application, the ADBASE multiple objective linear programming package, and over 100 research articles. Dr. Steuer's research interests are in multiple-attribute portfolio theory, efficient sets and surfaces, multiple objective programming, and multiple criteria decision making.
A recipient of a Distinguished Alumnus Award from the University of North Carolina and the Lamar Dodd Award for Creative Research in the Sciences from the University of Georgia Dr. Steuer was a co-founder and has served as President of the International Society on Multiple Criteria Decision Making, a society that now has over 2,800 members from almost 100 countries. In addition, having lectured in 50 countries, Dr. Steuer has been an advisor to universities in emerging countries on the establishment of curricula in management and has been Honorary Dean of the School of Industrial Management at the Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology in Vietnam since 1991.
Prior to joining the University of Georgia, Dr. Steuer was a Visiting Associate Professor at Princeton University (one year) and on the faculty of the University of Kentucky (eight years).
Education and Career
- PhD, Quantitative Methods in Business, University of North Carolina, 1973
- MBA, Accounting & Finance, Cornell University, 1966
- BS, ScB, Electrical Engineering & Economics, Brown University, 1963
- University of Kentucky, Assistant and Associate Professor, 1972 to 1981
- Princeton University, Visiting Associate Professor, 1978 to 1979
- Distinguished Research Award, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 2016
- Gold Medal Award, International Society on Multiple Criteria Decision Making, 1997
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Kenan-Flagler Graduate School of Business, UNC, 1994
Research, Expertise and Publications
- R. E. Steuer and S. Utz. 2022. Non-Contour Efficient Fronts for Identifying Most Preferred Portfolios in Sustainability Investing, European Journal of Operational Research, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2022.08.007.
- Xidonas, P. and R. E. Steuer. 2022. A Multicriteria Evaluation Methodology for Assessing the Impact of COVID-19 in EU Countries, Decision Analytics, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dajour.2022.100123.
- Qi. Y. and R. E. Steuer. 2020. An Analytical Derivation of the Efficient Surface in Quad-and-Higher Criterion Portfolio Selection, Annals of Operations Research, 293(2): 533-552.
- Xidonas, P., R. E. Steuer and C. Hassapis. 2020. Robust Portfolio Optimization: A Categorized Bibliographic Review, Annals of Operations Research, 292(1): 521-538.
- Piercy, C. A. and R. E. Steuer. 2019. Reducing Wall-Clock Time for the Computation of All Efficient Extreme Points in Multiple Objective Linear Programming, European Journal of Operational Research, 277(2): 653-666.
- Aouni, B., M. Doumpos, B. Peréz-Gladish, R. E. Steuer. 2018. On the Increasing Importance of Multiple Criteria Decision Aid Methods for Portfolio Selection, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 69(10): 1525-1542.
- Qi, Y., R. E. Steuer and M. Wimmer. 2017. An Analytical Derivation of the Efficient Surface in Portfolio Selection with Three Criteria. Annals of Operations Research, 25(1): 161-177.
- Kao, C. and R. E. Steuer. 2016. Value of Information in Portfolio Selection, with a Taiwan Stock Market Application Illustration. European Journal of Operational Research, 253(2): 418-427.
- Steuer, R. E., M. Hirschberger and K. Deb. 2016. Extracting from the Relaxed for Large-Scale Semi-Continuous Variable Nondominated Frontiers. Journal of Global Optimization, 64: 33-48.
- Utz, S., M. Wimmer and R. E. Steuer. 2015. Tri-Criterion Modeling for Constructing More-Sustainable Mutual Funds. European Journal of Operational Research, 236(1): 331-338.
- Utz, S., M. Wimmer, M. Hirschberger and R. E. Steuer. 2014. Tri-Criterion Inverse Portfolio Optimization with Application to Socially Responsible Mutual Funds. European Journal of Operational Research, 234(2): 491-498.
- Hirschberger, M., R. E. Steuer, S. Utz, M. Wimmer and Y. Qi. 2013. Computing the Nondominated Surface in Tri-Criterion Portfolio Selection. Operations Research, 61(1): 169-183.
- Qi, Y., F. Wu, X. Peng and R. E. Steuer. 2013. Chinese Corporate Social Responsibility by Multiple Objective Portfolio Selection and Genetic Algorithms. Journal of Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis, 20(3-4): 127-139.
- Steuer, R. E., Y. Qi and M. Hirschberger. 2011. Comparative Issues in Large-Scale Mean-Variance Efficient Frontier Computation. Decision Support Systems, 51(2): 250-255.
- Yang, J. B., B. Y. H. Wong, D. X. Xu, X. B. Liu and R. E. Steuer. 2010. Integrated Bank Performance Assessment and Management Planning Using Hybrid Minimax Reference Point--DEA Approach. European Journal of Operational Research, 207(3): 1506-1518.
- Hirschberger, M., Y. Qi and R. E. Steuer. 2010. Large-Scale MV Efficient Frontier Computation via a Procedure of Parametric Quadratic Programming. European Journal of Operational Research, 204(3): 581-588.
- Luque, M., F. Ruiz and R. E. Steuer. 2010. Modified Interactive Chebycheff Algorithm for Convex Multiobjective Programming. European Journal of Operational Research, 204(3): 557-564.
- Qi, Y., M. Hirschberger and R. E. Steuer. 2009. Dotted Representations of Mean-Variance Efficient Frontiers and their Computation. INFOR, 47(1): 15-21.
- Wallenius, J., J. S. Dyer, P. C. Fishburn, R. E. Steuer, S. Zionts and K. Deb. 2008. Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Multiattribute Utility Analysis: Recent Accomplishments and What Lies Ahead. Management Science, 54(7): 1336-1349.
- Hirschberger, M., Y. Qi and R. E. Steuer. 2007. Randomly Generating Portfolio-Selection Covariance Matrices with Specified Distributional Characteristics. European Journal of Operational Research, 177(3): 1610-1625.
- Steuer, R. E., Y. Qi and M. Hirschberger. 2007. Suitable-Portfolio Investors, Nondominated Frontier Sensitivity, and the Effect on Standard Portfolio Selection. Annals of Operations Research, 152(1): 297-317.
OTHER JOURNAL ARTICLES
- Steuer, R. E., Y. Qi and M. Hirschberger. 2005. Multiple Objectives in Portfolio Selection, Journal of Financial Decision Making, 1(1): 11-26.
- Steuer, R. E. and P. Na. 2003. Multiple Criteria Decision Making Combined with Finance: A Categorized Bibliography, European Journal of Operational Research, 150(3): 496-515.
- Korhonen, P., S. Salo and R. E. Steuer. 1997. A Heuristic for Estimating Nadir Criterion Values in Multiple Objective Programming, Operations Research, 45(5): 751-757.
- Sun, M., A. Stam and R. E. Steuer. 1996. Solving Multiple Objective Programming Problems Using Feed-Forward Artificial Neural Networks: The Interactive FFANN Procedure, Management Science, 42(6): pp. 835-849.
Sun, M. and R. E. Steuer. 1996. Quad-Trees and Linear Lists for Identifying Nondominated Criterion Vectors, ORSA Journal on Computing, 8(4): 367-375.
Sun, M. and R. E. Steuer. 1996. InterQuad: A Quad-Tree Based Procedure for Solving the Discrete Alternative Multiple Criteria Problem, European Journal of Operational Research, 89(3): 462-472.
- Steuer, R. E. and M. Sun. 1995. The Parameter Space Investigation Method of Multiple Objective Nonlinear Programming: A Computational Investigation, Operations Research, 43(4): 641-648.
- Gardiner, L. R. and R. E. Steuer. 1994. Unified Interactive Multiple Objective Programming: An Open Architecture for Accommodating New Procedures, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 45(12): 1456-1466.
- Steuer, R. E., J. Silverman and A. W. Whisman. 1993. A Combined Tchebycheff/Aspiration Criterion Vector Interactive Multiobjective Programming Procedure, Management Science, 39(10): 1255-1260.
- Dyer, J. S., P. C. Fishburn, R. E. Steuer, J. Wallenius and S. Zionts. 1992. Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Multiattribute Utility Theory: The Next Ten Years, Management Science, 38(5): 645-654.
- Silverman. J., R. E. Steuer and A. W. Whisman. 1988. Multi-Period, Multiple Criteria Optimization for Manpower Planning, European Journal of Operational Research, 34(2): 160-170.
- Isermann, H. and R. E. Steuer. 1988. Computational Experience Concerning Payoff Tables and Minimum Criterion Values over the Efficient Set, European Journal of Operational Research, 33(1): 91-97.
- Steuer, R. E. 1984. Sausage Blending Using Multiple Objective Linear Programming, Management Science, 3(11): 1376-1384.
- Steuer, R. E. and E. -U. Choo. 1983. An Interactive Weighted Tchebycheff Procedure for Multiple Objective Programming, Mathematical Programming, 26(1): 326-344.
- Balachandran, K. R. and R. E. Steuer. 1982. An Interactive Model for the CPA Firm Audit Staff Planning Problem with Multiple Objectives, The Accounting Review, LVII(1): 125-140.
- Steuer, R. E. 1981. Algorithms for Linear Programming Problems with Interval Objective Function Coefficients, Mathematics of Operations Research, 6(3): 333-348.
- Kornbluth, J. S. H. and R. E. Steuer. 1981. Goal Programming with Linear Fractional Criteria, European Journal of Operational Research, 8(1): 58-65.
- Kornbluth, J. S. H. and R. E. Steuer. 1981. Multiple Objective Linear Fractional Programming, Management Science, 27(9): 1024-1039.
- Evans, J. P. and R. E. Steuer. 1973. A Revised Simplex Method for Linear Multiple Objective Programs, Mathematical Programming, 5(1): 54-72.
- R. E. Steuer. 1986. Multiple Criteria Optimization: Theory, Computation and Application, John Wiley & Sons, New York: 546 pp.
- R. E. Steuer. 1992. Multiple Criteria Optimization: Theory, Computation and Application, Russian Edition. Radio E Svyaz, Moscow: 504 pp.
- Caballero, R., F. Ruiz and R. E. Steuer (eds.). 1997. Advances in Multiple Objective and Goal Programming, Springer-Verlag, Berlin: 391 pp.
- Haimes, Y. Y. and R. E. Steuer (eds.). 2000. Research and Practice in Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Springer-Verlag, Berlin: 552 pp.