About the Operations Management concentration
Whether an organization is large, small, established, or a startup, resources must be carefully allocated and controlled. Effectively managing these resources requires more knowledge and skill than ever before. Terry brings its own set of resources to the table to prepare students to be effective managers. While the Operations Management courses focus on manufacturing and service operations, Terry’s expertise extends much further, offering invaluable courses and experiences for leadership development, strategy formation, and a mentality for sustainability.
Students can earn their Green Belt and Black Belt Lean Six Sigma certifications as part of the Operations concentration from a Master Black Belt instructor while tackling a real-world project. Organizations that have sponsored Lean Six projects recently include Arby’s Restaurant Group, Athens Housing Authority, Benson’s Bakery and Hotels Group, Carter’s, Cox Communications, Equifax, Goodwill Industries, Mercy Health Center, PrintPack, Synovus Bank, and United Rentals.
Companies that have hired Georgia MBAs for roles in Operations Management in recent years include Georgia-Pacific, Windstream, Regions Financial, Assurant, Hitachi Automotive, Eaton, The Home Depot, and Rock-Tenn.
Typical job titles
- Process Improvement Specialist
- Internal Consultant
- Advisory and Assurance Manager
- Senior Analyst – Assurance and Advisory
- Procurement Manager
- Six Sigma Process Consultant
Concentration Path - Operations Management
Overview - Managing Resources Effectively
Managers must be adept at planning, scheduling, executing, and controlling to achieve organizational goals. Terry offers a series of resource management courses with an emphasis on manufacturing and service operations to help students build their skill set. In addition, an extensive list of electives allows students to further tailor the concentration to their personal interests and career goals.
Required Courses (9 hours)
- MGMT 7130: Designing, Managing, and Improving Supply Chains (Fall)
- MGMT 7220: Project Management (Spring)
- MGMT 7260: Service Operations Management (Spring)
Suggested Electives (12 hours)
- ECON 7940: Economics of Managing Organizations (HR & Human Capital) (Fall & Spring)
- FINA 79250e: Financial Modeling (Spring)
- LEGL 7050: Negotiations (Spring)
- MARK 7620: Services Marketing (Spring)
- MARK 7760: New Product Development(Spring)
- MGMT 7011: Leading Evolving Organizations (Fall)
- MIST 7690: Business Process Management (Spring)
- ECON 7950: Competitive Strategy & Structure (Fall)
- MGMT 7160: Lean Six Sigma (Fall & Spring)
- RMIN 7010 (Fall) or RMIN 7100 (Spring)