This certificate program prepares you for the complex legal environment of business and helps to gauge your interest in pursuing law school.
Fifteen hours of approved coursework is required to complete the certificate. Courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C (2.00), and no more than three hours may be transfer credit. Please refer to the UGA bulletin for pre-requisite courses.
Part 1: Required Courses (3 Hours)
Options for completing the remaining 12 hours
- Two courses from Part II and two courses from Part III, or
- Three courses from Part II and one course from Part III
- LEGL 4200 Intellectual Property Law*
- LEGL 4400/ LEGL 4400E / LEGL 6400 Business Law*
- LEGL 4500/ LEGL 6500 Employment Law*
- LEGL 4900/ LEGL 6900 International Legal Transactions for Business*
- ACCT 5400/ ACCT 7400 Taxation I
- BUSN 4650 Diversity in a Global Environment*
- ECON 4450/ ECON 6450 Economic Analysis of Law
- FINA 4050 Capitalism
- FINA 4205/ FINA 6205 Mergers and Acquisitions
- LEGL 4300 Law of Business Organizations (Griffin campus only)
- LEGL 4600/ LEGL 6600 Negotiation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Systems* (offered spring semester only)
- LEGL 4700 / LEGL 6700 The Law of FinTech*
- LEGL 5000 Special Topics in Legal Studies* (when offered)
- MGMT 5440 Business Ethics
- REAL 5200/ REAL 7200 Real Estate Law (offered spring semester only)
- RMIN 5100 Commercial Property and Liability Insurance
Courses marked with an asterisk are open to all certificate students, regardless of major. Other courses will have restrictions based on major and/or prerequisite.
How to Apply
- Be sure you meet the eligibility requirements
- Complete the online application
- Complete the essay question (part of the online application)
“Why are you applying to the Certificate in Legal Studies program?”
Please describe your motivation, career aspirations or anything else relevant to your interest in the program in 250 words or less.
- September 1 – October 1
- February 1 – March 1
Notification of acceptance will be emailed approximately 2 weeks after each deadline.