If you’re considering a PhD in Business Administration with a focus in Accounting, you will appreciate these core elements that helped our PhD program to be ranked No. 11 in the world in terms of the research productivity of our graduates over the last six years.
Our program includes a large set of active researchers, from energetic junior scholars to accomplished senior professors. The research productivity of our faculty over the last six years ranks No. 11 in the world. This ranking is the result of our faculty publishing in leading journals such as Accounting, Organizations and Society, The Accounting Review, Contemporary Accounting Research, the Journal of Accounting and Economics, the Journal of Accounting Research and the Review of Accounting Studies. In addition, our faculty are seen as leaders in their field, as they routinely serve as editors or on the editorial board at leading journals such as The Accounting Review, Contemporary Accounting Research and the Review of Accounting Studies.
Diverse and invigorating mix of talent
Our students come from a variety of backgrounds and are highly motivated. Recently, our doctoral candidates have received both the Deloitte Foundation Fellowship and the American Accounting Association/Grant Thornton Doctoral Dissertation Award for Innovation in Accounting Education.
Collaborative and supportive atmosphere
Students collaborate with faculty members on all phases of the research process—from idea generation and study design to data analysis and writing—while seasoned students offer guidance and mutual support.
Students arrive four weeks prior to the start of fall semester to take:
- SAS/STATA/Python Coding Bootcamp
- ECON 8000 Math for Economists
Additional coursework depends on the area of concentration.
The quality of our program is proven by the placement of our students. Since 2010, graduating PhD students have taken tenure-track positions at some of the most respected universities in the world.
- Ryan Johnson, Indiana University – Bloomington (graduated October 2023)
- Truman Rowley, University of Nevada – Las Vegas (graduated August 2023)
- Karson Fronk, Texas Christian University (graduated May 2023)
- Owen Davidson, Baylor University (graduated May 2022)
- Patrick Ryu, University of Manchester (graduated July 2021)
- James Warren, University of Connecticut (graduated May 2021)
- Enrique Gomez, Temple University (graduated May 2020)
- Jasmine Wang, University of Virginia (graduated May 2020)
- Emily Shafron, Texas A&M University (graduated July 2019)
- Jenna D’Adduzio, University of British Columbia (graduated May 2019)
- Christy Sims, University of Mississippi (graduated May 2019)
- Mike Ricci, University of Florida (graduated May 2017)
- Anne Ehinger, Indiana University at Indianapolis (graduated May 2017)
- Ashley Austin, University of Richmond (graduated May 2016)
- Lisa Hinson, University of Florida (graduated May 2016)
- Steven Utke, University of Connecticut (graduated May 2015)
- Emily Griffith, University of Wisconsin (graduated May 2014)
- Wayne Nesbitt, Michigan State University (graduated May 2014)
- David Koo, University of Illinois (graduated May 2013)
- Ann Backof, University of Virginia (graduated May 2012)
- Julia Yu, Nanyang Technical University (graduated May 2011)
- Mary Im, University of Alabama at Birmingham (graduated May 2011)
- Jeremy Griffin, Notre Dame University (graduated May 2010)