Ready to apply to the Terry College of Business Master of Accountancy program? Below, find information about requirements, prerequisite courses, GMAT exemption, and more.
Graduate School Application
Students must apply via the UGA Graduate School in order to be considered for admission. Final decisions will be issued by letter from the UGA Graduate School. Applicants with undergraduate accounting degrees from AACSB-accredited schools are preferred.
The following documents and fees are required:
- One unofficial transcript from institutions you’ve attended
- Three letters of recommendation (two from accounting faculty and one additional)
- Statement of purpose (1 page)
- Documents for international applicants
- Application fees
- GMAT scores (View GMAT Exemption Information)
Additional information about these documents are provided below.
UGA students should download a PDF of their unofficial transcript from Athena. If accepted, an official transcript must be submitted to the Graduate School before enrolling in courses.
Letters of Recommendation
You should request recommendations from at least two Accounting instructors and a third recommendation from an individual who knows you well, either academically or professionally. UGA will send an online link to a recommendation form to the recommenders you list in your application. Click here for a brief video with more details.
Statement of Purpose
The statement of purpose must be one page, single or double spaced, and titled “Why do you want to pursue a MAcc degree?”
The following additional documents are required for international applicants:
- Final transcript or other document showing proof of degree
- TOEFL or IELTS scores. Suggested minimum scores are 105 on TOEFL and 7.5 on IELTS.
- Certificate of Finances form. This form is only required if admitted.
You must submit a one-time application fee via credit card online in order to complete your application — $75 for domestic applicants, $100 for international applicants.
Applications are considered for fall and spring semesters. Summer admission is limited to applicants who wish to earn course credit for a summer internship. If admitted, you will enroll in a 3-hour course and will be required to pay summer tuition. Your summer internship must be 8 weeks or longer, working 40 hours per week.
Applications received after the general admission deadline for each semester will only be considered if space is allowed.
Application Fee Waiver
Students attending designated UGA feeder schools qualify for an application fee waiver for the Master of Accountancy program. A letter on letterhead from the Feeder Program Coordinator on your campus is required.
The following UGA feeder schools qualify for an application fee waiver:
- Albany State University
- Florida A&M University
- Ft. Valley State University
- Morehouse College
- North Carolina A&T State University
- Spelman College
The Tull School of Accounting recommends a GMAT score of at least 550 (or a GMAT Focus Edition score of 515) for admissions to the MAcc program. The UGA Graduate scores requires a GMAT score of at least 500 (or 485 on the Focus Edition).
Note: The Graduate Management Admissions Council is offering a new version of the GMAT exam, the GMAT™ Focus Edition, which has a new score scale. Click here for more details. Registration for the GMAT™ Focus Edition opens on August 29, 2023. Testing will begin in Q4 2023. Candidates can still register for the current version of the GMAT Exam, which will be available until early 2024.
If you’re an accounting major with a GPA of at least 3.7 from UGA or another AACSB-accredited U.S. institution, you may be eligible to exempt the GMAT requirement. Find a complete list of qualifications below. Click here for a brief video with more details.
A notification that your GMAT score is missing will remain on your application until it is evaluated by the department, shortly after the deadline passes. If you have met all the requirements to exempt, you may safely ignore that notification.
All applicants to Terry’s MAcc program may, and are encouraged to, voluntarily submit a GMAT score as part of their application. GMAT exemptions are generally available for any MAcc applicant meeting the requirements in categories I, II, and III below. Any MAcc applicant not falling into category I, II, and III must submit a valid GMAT score. However, the MAcc admissions committee may request any applicant to submit a GMAT score.
I. GMAT Exemption for All UGA/Terry Accounting Major Applicants
- All undergraduate accounting majors at UGA who apply to the MAcc program are exempt from the GMAT.
II. GMAT Exemption Requirements for UGA/Terry Non-Accounting Major Applicants, including Non-Accounting Double Dawg Applicants
- Attained a 3.6 GPA or higher in all required upper-level accounting courses completed as of your MAcc application date;
- Completed a minimum of three (3) of the four (4) required upper-level accounting courses as of your MAcc application date; and
- Not received any grade below C+ in completed upper-level ACCT courses, including retakes (ACCT courses numbered 5000 or higher). For example, if you earn a C- in ACCT 5000 the first time then retake to score a B+, you must take the GMAT; and
- Not have withdrawn from more than two (2) upper-level ACCT courses.
III. GMAT Exemption Requirements for Non-UGA Applicants from U.S. Institutions
- Earned an accounting degree from an AACSB-accredited U.S. college or university prior to enrollment;
- Attained an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.7 or higher;
- No grade below B in the upper-level ACCT courses, including retakes. For example, if you earn a C- in Intermediate I the first time then retake to score a B+, you must take the GMAT; and
- No more than two (2) withdrawals from upper-level ACCT courses.
IV. No GMAT Exemption for All Other Applicants
- Applicants from colleges and universities outside the U.S. and all colleges and universities without AACSB accreditation are required to submit a valid GMAT score.
- Any other applicants not described in I, II, or III must submit a valid GMAT score.
Newly Admitted Students
Orientation is required for all newly admitted students. The date for orientation will be sent with your notice of admission.
Students must complete a bachelor’s degree and the below prerequisite courses before beginning the MAcc program. Equivalent courses from other undergraduate institutions will satisfy these prerequisites.
Accounting Course Requirements
- ACCT 5000* Intermediate I
- ACCT 5010* Intermediate II
- ACCT 5020 Intermediate III (if offered at undergraduate institution)
- ACCT 5200 Audit I
- ACCT 5310* Systems I (if offered at undergraduate institution)
- ACCT 5400* Tax I
*For the BBA/MAcc Double Dawg Program, only these prerequisite courses are required.
Recommended Business Courses
These courses are suggested but not required before beginning the MAcc. If you are a Terry BBA student or graduate, you may have already taken these courses.
- ECON 2105 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECON 2106 Principles of Macroeconomics
- FINA 3000 Financial Management
- LEGL 2700 Legal and Regulatory Environment of Business
- MARK 3000 Principles of Marketing
- MGMT 3000 Principles of Management
- MIST 2090 Management Information Systems
- BUSN 3000 (formerly MSIT 3000) Statistical Analysis for Business