Former Jasper Dorsey Chair
Education and Career
PhD, Economics, University of Colorado, 1972
Prior professional positions:
- University of Wyoming, Economics, Professor, 1981 to 1985
- American Petroleum Institute, Research, Senior Economist, 1979 to 1981
- Department of Energy, Energy Information Agency, Senior Economist, 1974 to 1979
- Environmental Protection Agency, Research, Senior Economist, 1972 to 1974
Awards, Honors and Recognitions:
- Who's Who in American, Marquis, 2011
- Who's Who in Economics, Mit Press/Kluwer Press, 2004
- Distinguished Research Award, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 1992
- Outstanding Honors Teaching Award, University of Georgia, 1989
- Computer User's Advisory Committee, committee member, 2003 – 2004, University
- Economics Graduate Programs Committee, Head, 1998 – 2003, University
- UGA State Economic Forecasting Model, Director, 1987 – 1988, University
- University Promotion and Tenure Review Committee, Head, 2010 – 2011, University
Research, Expertise and Publications
Research Interests and Areas of Expertise:
- Applied Econometrics
- Industrial Organization
- Environmental Economics
- Bootstrap Estimation
- Efficient Multi-Pollutant Regulation
- Efficiency and productivity growth
- Interaction of Multiple child health indicators
- Market power estimation
- Atkinson, S. E, Primont, D., Tsionas, M. STATISTICAL INFERENCE IN EFFICIENT PRODUCTION WITH BAD INPUTS AND OUTPUTS USING LATENT PRICES AND OPTIMAL DIRECTIONS. Terry College Department Of Economics, forthcoming JOURNAL OF ECONOMETRICS.
- Atkinson, S.E,, Tsionas, M. Directional distance functions: optimal endogenous directions. Terry College Department Of Economics,JOURNAL OF ECONOMETRICS, 109: 301-314, 2016..
- Atkinson, S.E., Tsionas, M. 2017. SHADOW DIRECTIONAL DISTANCE FUNCTIONS WITH BADS: GMM ESTIMATION OF OPTIMAL DIRECTIONS AND EFFICIENCIES . Terry College Department Of Economics, EMPIRICAL ECONOMICS 30 March 2017..
- Atkinson, S.E. forthcoming 2018. Panel Data in Energy Economics. Terry College Department Of Economics.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 1993 - 1995