Tim Samples is an Associate Professor of Legal Studies at the Terry College of Business. His research focuses on the interactions between markets and sovereign states, particularly in the areas of sovereign finance, investor-state disputes, and frameworks for foreign investment. Samples received a 2017-18 Core Fulbright grant to conduct research and teach in Argentina, where he taught courses on sovereign debt at the Facultad de Derecho (School of Law) at the Universidad de Buenos Aires.
Samples has been quoted by media outlets such as the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, New York Times, Reuters, Barron's, Bloomberg, Los Angeles Times, and BBC Mundo, and has also appeared on CNN en Español, BBC World Service, and National Public Radio.
Samples is fluent in Spanish and proficient in Portuguese.
Education and Career
- JD, Law, University of Texas, 2010
- MA, Latin American Studies, University of Texas, 2010
- BA, International Affairs, University of Georgia, 2004
- Hogan Lovells LLP, Associate (M&A/Corporate and Latin America Practice Groups), 2011 to 2013
- Bracewell LLP, Associate (Energy and International Practice Groups), 2010 to 2011
- Latinvalley, Ltda., Analyst (Industrial Cooperation Program - Santiago, Chile), 2005 to 2006
- Distinguished Early Career Faculty Award, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2021
- Bunche Award for Best Paper in International Business Law, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2020
- Russell Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, University of Georgia, 2020
- Junior Scholar Award, Southeastern Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2018
- Runner-up, Holmes-Cardozo Award for Best Submitted Conference Paper, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2018
- Outstanding Teacher Recognition, Student Government Association, 2018
- Core Fulbright U.S. Scholar (Teaching/Research Grant), Council on the Exchange of Scholars, 2017
- Teacher of the Week, UGA Center for Teaching and Learning, 2017
- Holmes-Cardozo Award for Best Submitted Conference Paper, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2016
- Terry College of Business Outstanding Teacher, University of Georgia, 2016
- Bunche Award for Best Paper in International Business Law, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2015
- Lilly Teaching Fellow, UGA Center for Teaching and Learning, 2015
- Teaching Academy Fellow, UGA Center for Teaching and Learning, 2014
- Representative, University Council, 2018 – present, University
- Parliamentarian, 2018 – present, Terry College
- University of Georgia, Diversity Advisory Council, Member, 2014 – 2019, University
- Lilly Fellows Advisory Board, Member, 2018 – present, University
- International Business Committee, Chair, 2016 – present, Terry College
- Academy of Legal Studies in Business - International Section, Secretary, Vice-President, President, 2015 – 2018, Professional
- Latin American and Caribbean Studies Institute, Academic Programs Committee, Member, 2015 – 2019, University
Research, Expertise and Publications
- Sovereign Debt
- Investor-State Relations
- FDI and Investment Law
- Latin America
- Tim R Samples, Katherine Ireland and Caroline Kraczon, TL;DR: The Law and Linguistics of Social Platform Terms-of-Use, Berkeley Technology Law Journal, 39 (forthcoming 2023).
- Lindsay Sain Jones and Tim R Samples. On the Systemic Importance of Digital Platforms. University of Pennsylvania Journal of Business Law, 25 (forthcoming 2022).
- Sebastian Puerta and Tim R Samples. Investment Law's Transparency Gap. Cornell International Law Journal, 55 (forthcoming 2022).
- Tim R Samples. 2021. Investment Disputes and Federal Power in Foreign Relations. Columbia Journal of Transnational Law, 59(2): 247-297.
- Stephen Kim Park and Tim R Samples. 2021. Distrust, Disorder, and the New Governance of Sovereign Debt. Harvard International Law Journal, 62(1): 175-221.
- Tim R Samples. 2019. Winning and Losing in Investor-State Dispute Settlement. American Business Law Journal, 56(1): 115-175.
- Stephen Kim Park and Tim R Samples. 2017. Tribunalizing Sovereign Debt: Argentina's Experience with Investor-State Dispute Settlement. Vanderbilt Journal Of Transnational Law, 50(4): 1033-1063.
- Stephen Kim Park and Tim R Samples. 2017. Puerto Rico's Debt Dilemma and Pathways Towards Sovereign Solvency. American Business Law Journal, 54(1): 9-60.
- Juan José Cruces and Tim R Samples. 2016. Settling Sovereign Debt's "Trial of the Century". Emory International Law Review, 31(1): 5-47.
- Stephen Kim Park and Tim R Samples. 2016. Towards Sovereign Equity. Stanford Journal Of Law, Business & Finance, 21(2): 240-285.
- Tim R Samples. 2016. A New Era for Energy in Mexico? The 2013-14 Energy Reform. Texas International Law Journal, 50(4): 603-643.
- Tim R Samples. 2014. Rogue Trends in Sovereign Debt: Argentina, Vulture Funds, and Pari Passu Under New York Law. Northwestern Journal Of International Law & Business, 35(1): 49-86.
- Tim R Samples and Jose Luis Vittor. 2013. The Past, Present, and Future of Energy in Mexico: Prospects for Reform Under the Peña Nieto Administration. Houston Journal Of International Law, 35(3): 697-734.
- Tim R Samples and Jose Luis Vittor. 2012. Energy Reform and the Future of Mexico's Oil Industry: The Pemex Bidding Rounds and Integrated Service Contracts. Texas Journal Of Oil, Gas & Energy Law, 7(2): 215-240.
Staff Editor, American Business Law Journal