Dr. Troy A. Montgomery is focused on solving problems, improving operations, and working with executive leaders to implement solutions for change. He is currently a full time faculty member in the Terry College of Business where he teaches undergraduate and graduate Operations Management, Supply Chain Management, Lean Six Sigma, and Project Management.
Troy is also a Managing Partner at SC&E Partners, an advisory firm focused on helping organizations succeed in strategic change and execution. He has more than 15 years of experience working with large organizations across multiple industries including General Electric, Bank of America, and Humana. Troy is also an experienced researcher, former adjunct professor, and dissertation chair to doctoral candidates at the University of South Florida. Outside of teaching and advising organizations, he enjoys spending time with his wife, son, and daughter.
Education and Career
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- MBA, Management, University of Georgia
- DBA, Doctor of Business Administration, University of South Florida
- Managing Partner | SC&E Partners (Current)
- Strategy Engagement Leader | Humana | Tampa, FL (2014-2018)
- Associate Director | SSA&Company Management Consultant | New York, NY (2011-2014)
- Vice President Senior Consultant | Bank of America | Charlotte, NC (2008-2011)
- Operations Leader and OMLP Engineer | General Electric | Louisville, KY (2002-2007)
- Six Sigma Green Belt, General Electric
- Superstar OMLP award, General Electric
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt, Bank of America
- Spirit Award, Bank of America 2009, 2010, 2011
- Project Management Professional (PMP), Project Management Institute
- North Star Award, Humana
Research, Expertise and Publications
- Operations Management
- Process Improvement
- Executive Education
- Supply Chain Management
- Change Management
- Project Management
- Shreffler, J., Montgomery, T.A., Shreffler, M., Bernal, M., The, S., Danzl, D., Nan Mallory, M., Huecker, M. (2021). Measuring Faculty Viewpoints to Optimize Success for Faculty Researchers: Does Creativity Matter?, Creativity Research Journal.
- Dozier, P.D. and Montgomery, T.A. (2019). Banking on Blockchain: An Evaluation of Innovation Decision Making. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 67(4), 1129-1141.
- Montgomery, T. (2017). What critical factors do companies consider when selecting innovation ideas? Muma Business Review, 1(7). 69-80.
- Montgomery, T. (2017). “How much is this worth?” Humana’s Chief Innovation Officer explains why this is the wrong question. Muma Business Review, 1(3). 31-38.
- Montgomery, T. (2017). Cost estimating – make or buy? Muma Case Review, 2(3). 1-24.