Education and Career
- PhD Economics, Boston College, 2012
- MA Economics, Boston College, 2009
- BS Economics, BA Spanish, University of Rhode Island, 2007
Awards, Honors and Recognitions:
- NBER Center for Aging and Health Pilot Award, 2021-2022
- Terry-Sanford Research Award, 2018-2019, 2020-2021
- Kamerschen-Hampton Award for Outstanding Research in Economics, 2018
- Terry College of Business Outstanding Teacher Award, 2016
- Honors Program J. Hatten Howard Teaching Award, 2015
- Swift Award for Outstanding Teaching in Undergraduate Economics, 2015
- Lilly Teaching Fellow, 2014
- SEC Visiting Faculty Travel Grant, 2014
Research, Expertise and Publications
Research Interests and Areas of Expertise:
- Health Economics
- Labor Economics
- Economics of Aging
- Courtney H. Van Houtven, Norma B. Coe, Meghan M. Skira. 2013.The Effect of Informal Care on Work and Wages. Journal Of Health Economics, 32(1): 240-252.
- Meghan M. Skira. 2015. Dynamic Wage and Employment Effects of Elder Parent Care. International Economic Review, 56(1): 63-93.
- Norma B. Coe, Meghan M. Skira, Courtney H. Van Houtven. 2015. Long-Term Care Insurance: Does Experience Matter?. Journal Of Health Economics, 40: 122-132.
- Rachel Werner, Meghan M. Skira, R. Tamara Konetzka. 2016. An Evaluation of Performance Thresholds in Nursing Home Pay-for-Performance. Health Services Research, 51(6): 2282-2304.
- R. Tamara Konetzka, Meghan M. Skira, Rachel Werner. 2018. Incentive Design and Quality Improvements: Evidence from State Medicaid Nursing Home Pay-for-Performance Programs. American Journal Of Health Economics, 4(1):105-130.
- Aline Butikofer, Meghan M. Skira. 2018. Missing Work is a Pain: The Effect of Cox-2 Inhibitors on Sickness Absence and Disability Pension Receipt. The Journal Of Human Resources, 53(1): 71-122.
- Andrew Beauchamp, Geoffrey Sanzenbacher, Shannon Seitz, Meghan M. Skira. 2018. Single Moms and Deadbeat Dads: The Role of Earnings, Marriage Market Conditions, and Preference Heterogeneity. International Economic Review, 59(1): 191-232.
- Norma B. Coe, Meghan M. Skira, and Eric B. Larson. 2018. A Comprehensive Measure of the Costs of Caring for a Parent: Differences According to Functional Status. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 66(10): 2003-2008.
- Aline Bütikofer, Christopher Cronin, and Meghan M. Skira. 2020. Employment Effects of Healthcare Policy: Evidence from the 2007 FDA Black Box Warning on Antidepressants. Journal of Health Economics, 73: 102348.
- Aline Bütikofer, Julie Riise, and Meghan M. Skira. 2021. The Impact of Paid Maternity Leave on Maternal Health. American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 13(1): 67-105.
- Rachel Werner, Zachary Templeton, Nate Apathy, Meghan M. Skira, and R. Tamara Konetzka. 2021. Trends in Post-Acute Care in U.S. Nursing Homes: 2001 to 2017 . Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 22(12): 2491-2495.e2
- Emily C. Lawler and Meghan M. Skira. 2022. Information Shocks and Pharmaceutical Firms’ Marketing Efforts: Evidence from the Chantix Black Box Warning Removal. Journal of Health Economics, 81: 102557.
Associate Editor, Health Economics, 2021-Present