Alumni Board Distinguished Professor
Professional and Executive MBA Programs
Education and Career
- PhD, Economics, The University of Western Ontario, 1999
- MA, Economics, The University of Western Ontario, 1995
- MBA, Université Laval, 1993
- BA, Accounting, Université Laval, 1991
Prior professional positions:
- Associate Professor, University of Iowa, 2011—2018
- Professor, University of Southampton, 2010—2011
- Reader, University of Southampton, 2007—2010
- Assistant Professor, The University of Western Ontario, 2002—2007
- Assistant Professor, Queen's University, 2001—2002
- Research Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, 1999—2002
Research, Expertise and Publications
Research Interests and Areas of Expertise:
- Student Loan Repayment in Canada, with Lance Lochner and Qian Liu. Canadian Journal of Economics, Vol. 54 (4), November 2021.
- Life after Debt: Post-Graduation Consequences of Federal Student Loans, with Nicolas Ziebarth. Economic Inquiry, Vol. 57 (3), pp. 1342-1366, July 2019.
- What Should I Be When I Grow Up? Occupations and Unemployment over the Life Cycle, with Nir Jaimovich, Henry Siu, and Yaniv Yedid-Levi. Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol. 83, pp. 54—70, October 2016.
- Technological Learning and Labor Market Dynamics, with Nir Jaimovich, Henry Siu, and Yaniv Yedid-Levi. International Economic Review, Vol. 56 (1), pp. 27—53, February 2015.
- Optimal Fiscal Policy in the Neoclassical Growth Model Revisited, with Alessandro Mennuni. European Economic Review, Vol. 73, pp. 1—17, January 2015.
- On the Optimality of Age-Dependent Taxes and the Progressive U.S. Tax System. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Vol. 36 (4), pp. 682—691, April 2012.
- Why Has Home Ownership Fallen Among the Young? with Jonas Fisher. International Economic Review, Vol. 52 (3), pp. 883—912, August 2011.
- Measuring Consumption Smoothing in CEX Data, with Paul Klein. Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol. 57 (8), pp. 988—999, November 2010.
- Consumption, Income, and Wealth Inequality in Canada, with Matthew Brzozowski, Paul Klein, and Michio Suzuki. Review of Economic Dynamics, Vol. 13 (1), pp. 52—75, January 2010.
- Endogenous Debt Constraints in a Life-Cycle Model with an Application to Social Security, with David Andolfatto. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Vol. 32 (12), pp. 3745—3759, December 2008.
- Uncertainty and the Specificity of Human Capital, with Igor Livshits and Césaire Meh. Journal of Economic Theory, Vol. 143 (1), pp. 469—498, November 2008.
- Who Cares about Mortgage Interest Deductibility? with Manish Pandey. Canadian Public Policy, Vol. 34 (1), pp. 1—24, March 2008.
- Human Capital Accumulation and Debt Constraints, with David Andolfatto. Review of Economic Dynamics, Vol. 9 (1), pp. 52—67, January 2006.
- Housing Taxation and Capital Accumulation. Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol. 49 (7), pp. 1461—1489, October 2002.
- Optimal Taxation in Life-Cycle Economies, with Andrès Erosa. Journal of Economic Theory, Vol. 105 (2), pp. 338—369, August 2002.
- Optimal Taxation in Infinitely-Lived Agent and Overlapping Generations Models: A Review, with Andrès Erosa. Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond Economic Quarterly, Vol. 87 (2), pp. 23—44, Spring 2001.
- Associate Editor, European Economic Review, since 2011
- Co-Editor, Economic Inquiry, 2014—2018