I am an associate professor at Terry College of Business, University of Georgia. I received my PhD from the Desautels Faculty of Management, McGill University. I am interested in online communities, social media, healthcare information technology, and the application of computational techniques in management research. My research is published in outlets such as MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, Organization Science, and Journal of Medical Internet Research.
Education and Career
PhD, Business/MIS, McGill University, 2014
MS, Computer Science, McGill University, 2008
BA, Computer Engineering, Damascus University, 2006
Mayo Clinic, Research Collaborator, 2016 to 2021
Stevens Institute of Technology, Visiting Assistant Professor, 2014 to 2
Best Theory Paper: The Effect of Bots on Human Interaction in Online Communities, International Conference on Information Systems, 2021
AIS Distinguished Member, December 2020 Cohort, Association for Information Systems, 2020
Best Theory Paper: Open Communities and Formal Organizations: A Symbiosis View, International Conference on Information Systems, 2020
Best Publication of 2019: Data-Driven Computationally-Intensive Theory Development, International Conference on Information Systems, 2020
Best Information Systems Research Paper of 2019: Data-Driven Computationally-Intensive Theory Development, Information Systems Research, 2020
Best Associate Editor, International Conference on Information Systems, 2019
Best Theory Paper: Tension Resolution and Sustaining Knowledge Flows in Online Communities, International Conference on Information Systems, 2019
Best Division Paper Award: Who Contributes Knowledge? Embeddedness and Marginality in Online Communities, Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, 2018
Best Published 2015 Paper Award: The Emergence of Online Community Leadership, Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, 2016
Second Runner-Up Best Dissertation Award, International Conference on Information Systems, 2015
Best Conference Paper Award: Grassroots versus Established Actors' Framing of a Crisis: Tweeting the Oil Spill, Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, 2014
Excellence in Teaching Award, Desautels Faculty of Management, 2013
University of Georgia, Diversity Advisory Council, 2017 – present, University
Research, Expertise and Publications
- Computational Linguistics
- Social Network Analysis
- Mixed-Methods Design
- HealthCare IT
- Open-Source Organizing
- Social Media
- Online Communities
- Shaila Miranda, Nicholas Berente, Stefan Seidel, Hani Safadi, and Andrew Burton-Jones Computationally. 2022. Intensive Theory Construction: A Primer for Authors and Reviewers. MIS Quarterly, 46(2).
- Hani Safadi, Steven Johnson and Samer Faraj. 2020. Who Contributes Knowledge? Core-Periphery Tension in Online Innovation Communities. Organization Science, 32(3).
- Tanner Skousen, Hani Safadi, Colleen Young, Elena Karahanna, Sami Safadi, and Fouad Chebib. "Successful Moderation in Online Patient Communities: Inductive Case Study." Journal of medical Internet research 22, no. 3 (2020): e15983.
- Nicholas Berente, Stefan Seidel, Hani Safadi. Data-Driven Computationally-Intensive Theory Development. Information Systems Research , 2019.
- Emmanuelle Vaast, Hani Safadi, Bogdan Negoita and Liette Lapointe. 2018. Social Media Affordances for Connective Action - An Examination of Microblogging Use During the Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill.Mis Quarterly, 41(4).
- Steven Johnson, Hani Safadi and Samer Faraj. 2015. The Emergence of Online Community Leadership. Information Systems Research,26(1):165-187.
- Hani Safadi, David Chan, Martin Dawes, Mark Roper and Samer Faraj. 2015. Open-source health information technology: A case study of electronic medical records. Health Policy And Technology,4(1):14-28.
One Picture to Study One Thousand Words: Visualization for Qualitative Research in the Age of Digitalization,
Cambridge University Press Handbook of Qualitative Research in the Age of Digitalisation
Associate Editor, MIS Quarterly, 2021 - present
Review Board, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 2016 - present