Education and Career
- PhD, Accounting, University of Utah, 2013
- MAcc, Accounting, University of Utah, 2007
- BBA, Accounting, Western Michigan University, 2005
Prior professional positions:
- Ernst & Young, Staff Auditor, 2007 to 2009
- Stryker Corporation, Internal Audit and Tax Associate, 2005 to 2006
- Jansen Valk Thompson & Reahm PC, Tax Associate, 2006 to 2006
Awards, Honors and Recognitions:
- Percy B. Yeargan Outstanding Undergraduate Teacher of the Year, Beta Alpha Psi, 2022
- Contemporary Accounting Research Outstanding Reviewer Recognition, 2021
- Outstanding Teacher Award, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 2021
- FARS Outstanding Discussion Award, 2020
- Discussant for the Plenary Session at the 2020 FARS Midyear Meeting, 2020
- FARS Excellence in Reviewing Award, 2018
- FASB Faculty Program, Financial Accounting Standards Board, 2017
- Terry Sanford Research Award, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 2018-2022
- Percy B. Yeargan Outstanding Undergraduate Teacher of the Year, Beta Alpha Psi, 2017
- Outstanding Teacher Award, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 2017
- Tahoe Conference, AAA/Deloitte/J. Michael Cook Doctoral Consortium, 2012
- Doctoral Student Teaching Award, David Eccles School of Business, 2011
- Doctoral Student Teaching Award, DESB School of Accounting, 2011
Research, Expertise and Publications
Research Interests and Areas of Expertise:
- How managers and analysts forecast, calculate, and communicate financial performance.
- The Risk-relevance of Non-GAAP Earnings (with Frank Heflin and Kalin Kolev). Review of Accounting Studies, Forthcoming.
- Non-GAAP Earnings Disclosure and Stock Price Crash Risk (with Charles Hsu and Rencheng Wang). Journal of Accounting and Economics 2022: 73 (2-3) 101473.
- Non-GAAP Reporting: A Consistency and Comparability Crises? (With Dirk Black, Ted Christensen, and Jack Ciesielski). Contemporary Accounting Research 2021: 38 (3), 1712-1747.
- Trading Prior to the Disclosure of Material Information: Evidence from Regulation Fair Disclosure Form 8-Ks (with John Campbell and Brady Twedt). Contemporary Accounting Research 2021: 38 (1), 412-442.
- Disentangling Managers' and Analysts' Non-GAAP Reporting (with Jeremiah Bentley, Ted Christensen, and Kurt Gee). Journal of Accounting Research 2018: 56 (4), 1039-1081.
- Analysts' GAAP Earnings Forecasts and their Implications for Accounting Research (with Mark Bradshaw, Ted Christensen, and Kurt Gee). Journal of Accounting and Economics 2018: 66 (1), 46-66.
- Non-GAAP Reporting: Evidence from Academia and Current Practice (with Dirk Black, Ted Christensen, and Jack Ciesielski). Journal of Business Finance & Accounting 2018: 45, 259-294.
- The Disclosure of Non-GAAP Earnings Information in the Presence of Transitory Gains (with Asher Curtis and Sarah McVay). The Accounting Review 2014: 89(3), 933-958.
- Contemporary Accounting Research (2020-2022)
- Journal of Financial Reporting (2021-2023)