L.Edmund Rast Professor of Business
Education and Career
PhD, Information Systems, Georgia State University, 2002
Prior professional positions:
- UGA, Professor, 2013 to 2016
- UGA, Associate Professor, 2010 to 2013
- Iowa State University, Union Pacific Professorship and Associate Professor of MIS, 2004 to 2010
- Emory University, Assistant Professor, 2001 to 2004
Awards, Honors and Recognitions:
- Outstanding Teacher Award, University of Georgia, 2017
- Service Award, Information Systems Research (INFORMS), 2015
- Teacher of the Year, University of Georgia, SMIS, 2015
- Outstanding Teacher Award, University of Georgia, 2014
- Service Award, Information Systems Research (INFORMS), 2011
- University-wide Early Achievement in Research award, Iowa State University, 2010
- Outstanding Associate Editor award, Information Systems Research (INFORMS), 2009
- Best paper award, Decision Sciences Journal, 2006
- Best paper award, European Conf. on Information Systems, 2001
- Terry Speciality Certificates Committee, Chair, 2010 – 2011, University
- Doctoral Program Coordinator, MIS, 2012 – 2014, University
- Graduate Programs Committee, Departmental Rep, 2012 – present, University
- Business Technology Management Institute, Research board, 2007 – present, Community
- Japan Electronics & IT Industry Association (JEITA), Advisory, 2005 – 2007, Community
- Nobel Fulbright Institute, Advisory council, 2003 – 2007, Community
- Japanâ€™s Joint Forum for Strategic Software Research, Advisor, 2006 – 2009, Community
- Terry Alumni Board Student Awards, Selection Committee, 2013 – 2013, Professional
- Music Business program, Director search committee, 2010 – 2010, University
- Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), Program Co-chair, 2014 – 2014, Professional
- Library committee, Member, 2014 – 2015, University
- Marketing Science, Session chair, 2014 – present, Professional
- MIS Quarterly, None, 2014 – present, Professional
- Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), Organizer: Inaugural doctoral directors annual meeting, 2014 – present, Professional
- Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), Executive Committee, 2013 – 2015, Professional
- Japan's Ministry of International Trade and Industry, Advisor to "Systems-Inspired Science" program, 2013 – 2020, Professional
- University Promotion and Tenure Appeals Standing Committee, Member, 2015 – present, University
Research, Expertise and Publications
Research Interests and Areas of Expertise:
- Software ecosystems
- Corporate IT governance
- IT strategy
- Steve Kim and A. Tiwana. 2016. Chicken or Egg? Sequential Complementarity among Salesforce Control Mechanisms. Journal Of The Academy Of Marketing Science :44(3), 2016, 316-333.
- Tiwana. Platform Synergy: Architectural Origins and Competitive Consequences. Information Systems Research:forthcoming.
- Agarwal, Ritu and Tiwana, A. 2015. Editorial: Evolvable Systems: Through the Looking Glass of IS. Information Systems Research.
- Tiwana, A. and Steve Kim. Discriminating IT Governance. Information Systems Research :26(4), 2015, 656-674.
- G. Boyle, R. Stover, A. Tiwana, and O. Zhylyevskyy. 2015. The Impact of Deposit Insurance on Depositor Behavior During a Crisis: A Conjoint Analysis Approach. Journal Of Financial Intermediation:24(4), 2015, 590-601.
- Tiwana, A. 2015. Evolutionary Competition in Platform Ecosystems.Information Systems Research , 26(2), 2015:266-281.
- Tiwana, A. and S. Kim. 2016. Concurrent IT Sourcing: Mechanisms and Contingent Advantages. Journal Of Management Information Systems .
- Rai, Arikan, Pye, and Tiwana. 2015. Fit and Misfit of Plural Sourcing Strategies and IT-enabled Process Integration Capabilities: Consequences for Firm Performance in the U.S. Electric Utility Industry. Mis Quarterly:39(4), 2015, 865-885.
- Tiwana. 2012. Novelty-Knowledge Alignment: A Theory of Design Convergence in Systems Development. Journal Of Management Information Systems, 29(1), 2012, 13-50..
- Tiwana. 2009. Knowledge-Governance Fit in Systems Development Projects. Information Systems Research, (20(2)):180-197.
- Tiwana, A. and B. Konsynski. 2010. Complementarities between Organizational IT Architecture and Governance Structure. Information Systems Research, (21(2)):288-304.
- Tiwana, Konsynski, and Bush. Platform Evolution: Coevolution of Platform Architecture, Governance, and Environmental Dynamics.Information Systems Research, (Dec 2010).
- Fichman, R, M. Keil, and A. Tiwana. 2005. Beyond Valuation: Real Options Thinking in IT Project Management. California Management Review, (47(2)):74-100. (Harvard reprint ID: CMR304.).
- Tiwana, A. 2008. Impact of Classes of Development Coordination Tools on Software Development Performance. Acm Transactions On Software Engineering & Methodology, (17(2)):1-47.
- Tiwana, A. 2008. Does Interfirm Modularity Complement Ignorance? A Field Study of Software Outsourcing Alliances. Strategic Management Journal, (29(11)):1241-1252.
- Tiwana, A. 2008. Does Technological Modularity Substitute for Control? A Study of Alliance Performance in Software Outsourcing.Strategic Management Journal, (29(7)):769-780.
- Tiwana, A. 2008. Do Bridging Ties Complement Strong Ties? An Empirical Examination of Alliance Ambidexterity. Strategic Management Journal, (29(3)):251-272.
- Tiwana, A. and M. Keil. 2007. Does Peripheral Knowledge Complement Control? A Study of Technology Outsourcing Alliances.Strategic Management Journal, 28(6):623-634.
- Tiwana. forthcoming . Systems Development Ambidexterity: Explaining the Complementary and Substitutive Roles of Formal and Informal Controls. Journal Of Management Information Systems.
- Tiwana and Bush. 2007. A Comparison of Transaction Cost, Agency, and Knowledge-based Predictors of IT Outsourcing Decisions.Journal Of Management Information Systems, 24(1):263-305.
- Tiwana, A. and M. Keil. 9-44. LEAD PAPER. Control in Internal and Outsourced Software Projects. Journal Of Management Information Systems, 26(3), (2010).
- Tiwana, A. and E. McLean. 2005. Expertise Integration and Creativity in Information Systems Development. Journal Of Management Information Systems, 22(1):13-43. LEAD PAPER.
- Tiwana, A., M. Keil, R. Fichman. 2006. IS Project Continuation in Escalation Situations: A Real Options Model. Decision Sciences Journal, 37(3), . Won The 2006 Decision Scienc:357-391.
- Tiwana, J. Wang, M. Keil, and P. Ahluwalia. 2007. The Bounded Rationality Bias in Managerial Valuation of Real Options: Theory and Evidence from IT Projects. Decision Sciences Journal, 38(1):157-181.
- Tiwana. 2017. IT Strategy for Non-IT Managers Becoming an Engaged Contributor to Corporate IT Decisions. Mit Press.
- Tiwana. Platform Ecosystems: Aligning Architecture, Governance, and Strategy, 2014. Morgan Kaufmann.
- Tiwana. 1999. The Knowledge Management Toolkit: Orchestrating IT, Strategy, and Knowledge Platforms [Translated into French, Polish, simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Korean,and and Turkish].Prentice-Hall:Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Tiwana. 2001. Knowledge Management: E-business and Customer Relationship Management Applications [Translations into French, Chinese, Hungarian, Polish, and Portuguese]. Prentice-Hall:Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Tiwana. 1998. Web Security. Elsevier Press:Woburn, MA.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Management Information Systems, 2010 - present
- Editorial Board, Strategic Management Journal, 2013 - present
- Senior Editor, Information Systems Research, 2013 - 2016
- Editorial Board, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 2010 - 2015
- Special Issue Co-editor, Journal of Management Information Systems, 2012 - 2013
- Associate Editor, MIS Quarterly, 2012 - 2013
- Associate Editor, Information Systems Research, 2008 - 2011