Mariana Andrade is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Management Information Systems, Terry College of Business at the University of Georgia (UGA). Before joining UGA, she was an Assistant Professor in Information Systems in the ITOM division at Nanyang Business School (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore), and an Assistant Professor in Information Systems and Technology in IE Business School, Spain.
Mariana Andrade’s research interests span four main areas: IT business value, embedded economy, competitive dynamics and data analytics. She is especially interested on exploring the granular mechanisms through which IT and other technologies influence firm performance and ultimately firm survival. Her research thrives to analyze overlooked and emergent phenomena that have relevant impact on corporations, such as technological innovation in emergent economies and interfirm linkages in hypercompetitive environments. Within these domains, she is currently involved in various multi-disciplinary projects that investigate the role of IS in business performance and innovation in both developed and developing world contexts.
Her research has been published/accepted in Research Policy, Information Systems Research, MIS Quarterly, Journal of Management Information Systems, Journal for the Association of Information Systems, the Academy of Management Proceedings and the Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Systems and presented in leading international conferences such as the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, International Conference on Information Systems, Americas Conference on Information Systems, POMS, INFORMS, and Strategic Management Society Conference. Her work has received one of the Best Paper Awards from the premier international conference of management scholars (Academy of Management Annual Meeting) and the International Conference on Information Systems. Moreover, she has received several grants, awards and scholarships, including a grant from the Ministry of Education in Singapore, a fellowship from the National Science Foundation and the University of Illinois at Chicago, the Reaching Out Award from the HKSAR Government, and The University of Hong Kong postgraduate fellowship.
- Complex networks
- Data analytics
- IT strategy
- Technological innovation
- Embedded economy
- Competitive dynamics
- Andrade Rojas, M.G., Ramirez Solis, E., Zhu, J. 2018. “Innovation and Network Multiplexity: R&D and the concurrent effects of two collaboration networks in an emerging economy” Research Policy, 47(6), pp. 1111-1124. (Accepted in 2018)
- Saldanha, T., Sahaym, A., Mithas, S., Andrade Rojas, M.G., Kathuria, A., Lee, HH. 2020. “IT-enabled Social Integration Capacity and Exploratory Innovation: The Role of Global Cultural Diversity and Global Geographical Dispersion” Information Systems Research (31:2), pp. 361-382. (Accepted in 2019)
- Khuntia, J., Kathuria, A., Andrade Rojas, M.G., Saldanha, T., Celly, N. 2021. “How Foreign and Domestic Firms Differ in Leveraging IT-enabled Supply Chain Information Integration in BOP Markets: The Role of Supplier and Client Business Collaboration” Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 22(3), p. 6. (Accepted in 2020)
- Andrade-Rojas, M. G., Kathuria, A., Konsynski, B. R. (2021). “Competitive Brokerage: How Information Management Capability and Collaboration Networks Act as Substitutes” Journal of Management Information Systems, 38(3), P. 667-703. (Accepted in 2021)
- Andrade-Rojas, M. G., Zhu, J., Li, Y. (2022). “The social and economic outputs of SME-GSI research collaboration in an emerging economy: An ecosystem perspective” Journal of Small Business Management, P. 1-44 (Accepted in 2022).
- Andrade Rojas, M.G., Saldanha T., Kathuria, A., Khuntia, J., Boh, W.F. “How IT Overcomes Deficiencies for Innovation in SMEs: Closed Innovation versus Open Innovation” Accepted in Information Systems Research (Accepted in May 2023).
- Saldanha, T., Andrade Rojas, M.G., Kathuria, A., Khuntia, J., Krishnan, M.S. “How the Locus of Uncertainty Shapes the Influence of CEO Long-term Compensation on Firm IT Investment: A Risk-oriented Dominant Logic Perspective” Accepted in MIS Quarterly (Accepted in May 2023).
- Associate Editor, Information & Management