Jim Conklin is an associate professor of real estate at the University of Georgia Terry College of Business. Dr. Conklin has a PhD in business administration with a concentration in real estate and a minor in finance from Penn State University. Before earning his PhD, Dr. Conklin worked in the mortgage industry, holding various management positions. His research and teaching interests include real estate markets, mortgage markets and institutions, household finance, and real estate finance.
- PhD, Finance, Pennsylvania State University, 2014
- BSBA, Finance & MIS, University of Delaware, 2002
- Real Estate Economics & Finance
- Financial Intermediation
- Conklin, James N., N. Edward Coulson, Moussa Diop, and Nuno Mota. “An Alternative Approach to Estimating Foreclosure and Short Sale Discounts,” Journal of Urban Economics, Forthcoming.
- Conklin, James N., N. Edward Coulson, and Moussa Diop. “Distressed Comps,” Real Estate Economics, 51(1): 170-195.
- Conklin, James N., W. Scott Frame, Kristopher Gerardi, and Haoyang Liu. “Villains or Scapegoats? The Role of Subprime Borrowers in Driving the Housing Boom,” Journal of Financial Intermediation, 2022, 51.
- Conklin, James N., Moussa Diop, and Mingming Qiu. “Religion and Mortgage Misrepresentation,” Journal of Business Ethics, 179(1): 273-295.
- Ambrose, Brent W., James N. Conklin, and Luis A. Lopez. “Does Borrower and Broker Race Affect the Cost of Mortgage Credit? Review of Financial Studies,” 34(2): 780-826.
- Conklin, James, N. Edward Coulson, Moussa Diop, and Thao Le. “Competition and Appraisal Inflation,” The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 61: 1-38.
- Conklin, James, Moussa Diop, Thao Le, and Walter D’Lima. “The Importance of Originator-Servicer Affiliation in Loan Renegotiation,” The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 59(1): 56-89.
- Conklin, James, Moussa Diop and Herman Li. “Contact High: The External Effects of Retail Marijuana Establishments on House Prices,” Real Estate Economics, 48(1): 135-173.
- Conklin, James N., Moussa Diop and Mingming Qiu. “How Do Firms Finance Non-Core Investments? Evidence from REITs,” Real Estate Economics, 46(1): 120-159.
- Ambrose, Brent W., James Conklin and Jiro Yoshida. 2016. “Credit Rationing, Income Exaggeration, and Adverse Selection in the Mortgage Market,” Journal of Finance, 71(6):2637-3686.
- Conklin, James. 2017. Financial Literacy, Broker-Borrower Interaction, and Mortgage Default. Real Estate Economics, 45(2):376-414.
- Ambrose, Brent W. and James Conklin. 2014. “Mortgage Brokers, Origination Fees, Price Transparency and Competition,” Real Estate Economics, 42(2):363-421.
Prior Professional Positions
- Vice President, Coast to Coast Mortgage, Inc., 2005-2008
- Manager, Coast to Coast Mortgage, Inc., 2004-2005
- Loan Officer, Coast to Coast Mortgage, Inc., 2002-2003