Emily H. and Charles M. Tanner Jr., Chair in Sales Management
C303 Benson Hall630 South Lumpkin StreetAthens, GA, 30602
- Email Address
PhD, Marketing, MIT, 1990
MBA, Business, Queen's University (Kingston), 1983
BSc, Chemistry, University of Guelph, 1981
Prior Professional Positions
University of Pittsburgh, Associate/Full Professor, 2001 to 2011
University of Western Ontario, Assistant/Associate Professor, 1989 to 2001
- 2018.Review Articles: Purpose, Process, and Structure. Journal of The Academy of Marketing Science , 46(1):1-5.
- 2018. Marketing Survey Research Best Practices: Evidence and Recommendations from a Review of JAMS Articles. Journal of The Academy of Marketing Science , 46(1):92-108.
- 2017. Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto: Emergence of Automated Social Presence in Organizational Frontlines and Customers' Service Experiences. Journal of Service Research, 20(1):43-58.
- 2016.Survival of the Fittest: How Competitive Service Overlap and Retail Format Impact Incumbents' Vulnerability to New Entrants. Journal of Retailing, 92(4):383-396.
- 2015. Retail Capability Systems. AMS Review,5(3-4):103-122.
- 2015. Exploring Uncharted Waters: Use of Psychological Ownership Theory in Marketing. Journal of Marketing Theory And Practice, 23(2):140-147.
- 2014.Does Marketing and Sales Integration Always Pay Off? Evidence from a Social Capital Perspective. Journal of The Academy of Marketing Science , 42(5):511-527.
- 2013. Aggressive Marketing Strategy Following Equity Offerings and Firm Value: The Role of Relative Strategic Flexibility. Journal of Marketing, 77(September):57-74.
- 2012. Perceived Marketing / Sales Relationship Effectiveness: A Matter of Justice. Journal of The Academy of Marketing Science, 40(3):450-467.
- 2009. Ambidextrous Organizations and Firm Performance: The Role of Marketing Function Implementation. Journal of Marketing Research, 46(December):764-776.
- 2009.Customer-Directed Selling Behaviors and Performance: A Comparison of Existing Perspectives. Journal of The Academy of Marketing Science, 37(4):422-439.
- 2008. A Short Form of the Maximization Scale: Factor Structure, Reliability, and Validity Studies. Judgement And Decision Making, 3(June):371-388.
- 2008.Expectations about the Future: The Conceptualization and Measurement of Elaboration on Potential Outcomes. Journal of Consumer Research, 35(June):126-141.
- 2008.Value Creation Following Merger and Acquisition Announcements: The Role of Strategic Emphasis Alignment. Journal of Marketing Research, 45(February):33-47.
- 2007. The Impact of Capabilities and Prior Investments on Online Channel Commitment and Performance. Journal of MIS , 23(4):109-142.
- 2004. The Resource-Based View and Information Systems Research: Review, Extension, and Suggestions for Future Research. MIS Quarterly, 28(1):107-142.
- 2001. Evaluating Promotions in Shopping Environments: Decomposing Sales Response into Attraction, Conversion, and Spending Effects. Marketing Science, 20(2):194-215.
- 2001.Richness versus Parsimony in Modeling Technology Adoption Decisions: Understanding Merchant Adoption of a Smart Card-Based Payment System. Information Systems Research, 12(2):208-222.
- 1999. Redeployment of Brands, Sales Forces, and General Marketing Management Expertise Following Horizontal Acquisitions: A Resource-Based View. Journal of Marketing, 63(April):41-54.
- 1999. Use of Partial Least Squares (PLS) in Strategic Management Research: A Review of Four Recent Studies. Strategic Management Journal, 20(February):195-204.
- 1999. A Self-Efficacy Theory Explanation for the Management of Remote Workers in Virtual Organizations. Organization Science, 10(Nov-Dec):758-776.
- 1996. Use of Causal Models in Marketing Research: A Review. International Journal of Research In Marketing, 13(2):181-197.
- 1995. Structural and Competitive Determinants of a Global Integration Strategy. Strategic Management Journal, 16(8):637-655.
- 1993.Premarket Forecasting of New Consumer Durables: Modeling Categorization, Elimination, and Consideration Phenomena. Journal of Marketing, 57(April):47-63.
AE, Journal of Marketing, 2011 - present
ERB Member, Journal of International Business Studies, 2007 - present
ERB Member, Journal of International Marketing, 1999 - present
AE, JAMS, 2015 - 2018
Editor-in-Chief, JAMS, 2018 - present