The Terry College’s Risk Management and Insurance Program traces its formal beginning to 1965, and in a short period of time it has grown into the largest undergraduate program of its kind in the U.S.
Terry’s Risk Management and Insurance Program is one of the very best, consistently ranking among the top two programs in the country every year since 2006 by U.S. News and World Report.
Our energetic, impassioned faculty members are adept at making textbook material come alive, and to supplement the classroom experience, faculty invite practitioners to serve as guest speakers, bringing real-world experiences and perspective to classroom lessons.
Topics covered include:
- Commercial property and liability insurance
- Employee benefits
- Insurer operations and policy
- Corporate risk management
- Life insurance
Risk Management and Insurance Courses
Positions + Placements
Employers say they value our graduates for their strong analytic skills and for their ability to apply those skills in real business applications. We develop those capabilities in our students through an extensive internship program that typically involves more than 100 students and as many as 80 companies, as well as through applied group and individual projects in the classroom. Terry students are in such demand that the RMI department can require that internships be paid. This typically results in our students being asked to do real work on their internship assignments, where they learn critical professional skills before they even graduate.
Terry’s Risk Management and Insurance Program emphasizes the importance of career placement for its students, making it a top priority. Each year, the department hosts its own Risk & Insurance Careers Day featuring a variety of industry employers (typically more than 50 companies) looking to hire students for full-time and internship positions.
Careers in Risk Management and Insurance
- Claims Adjuster
- Insurance Broker or Agent
- Risk Analyst
- Insurance Underwriter
- Turner Broadcasting
- Hilton Hotels
- Delta Air Lines
- Levi Strauss
- Dow Corning
- M&M Mars
- The Home Depot
This is just a selection of possible job titles and employers of this major. The UGA Career Center provides a more extensive list.
- Hickman Scholar Program
- The Institutes CPCU Scholarship
- Southeastern Actuaries Conference Scholarship
- The Actuarial Foundation Scholarships
- Be An Actuary Scholarships
- RIMS Spencer Scholarship
- The ACE Charitable Foundation Scholarships
- William Duffy Scholarship
- The Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals (AICP)
- John T. Lockton Memorial Scholarship
- Southern Loss Association Scholarship
- The Hobbs Group
- The Georgia 1752 Club
- The Guy C. Brazell, Jr. Scholarship
- The Leverett Excellence Awards
- The Don Guin-Lindsey Morden Scholarship