Concentration in Real Estate
Even in strong economic times, the environment of real estate markets is ambiguous and uncertain. Now, more than ever, individuals in the real estate sector must possess the necessary skills to make intelligent investment and management decisions.
The real estate sequence is designed to improve an individual’s ability to make real estate acquisition, management, and disposition decisions.
The study of real estate is divided into the areas of real estate analysis and real estate practice. Topics in these broad areas include:
- cash flow analysis
- the role of real estate in increasing shareholder value
- site selection
- financing alternatives
- control and disposition
- mortgage financing
- mortgage-backed securities
- valuation techniques and problems
- computer methods of valuation
Georgia MBAs with a concentration in Real Estate have accepted jobs with the following companies in recent years: Bank of America, CBRE, Hines, DTZ, Toll Brothers, Spectrum Properties, Landmark Properties, and MDH Partners.
Typical job titles: Senior Analyst, Development, Associate Vice President, Production Associate, Senior Associate, Enterprise Planning Manager
The courses are designed to challenge the student by combining a rigorous theoretical foundation with applications such as case studies and market simulations. Upon completing the concentration, the student should possess the ability to analyze the complex real estate environment using their strong technical skills and increased understanding of real estate markets.
Required Courses (9 hours)
Electives (12 hours)
- ACCT 7600: Financial Statement Analysis (Spring)
- ECON 7940: Economics of Managing Organizations (Fall & Spring)
- FINA 7100: Corporate Finance
- FINA 7310: Investments (Fall)
- FINA 79250e: Financial Modeling (Spring)
- LEGL 7050: Negotiations (Fall)
- MGMT 7011: Leading Evolving Organizations (Fall)
- RMIN 7010: Fundamentals of Risk Management (Spring)
- RMIN 7100: Fundamentals of Risk Management & Insurance (Fall)
- REAL 7076: Development (Fall)
- REAL 7880: Valuation (Spring)