Business process management is a vital prerequisite for major information technology
initiatives such as implementing or upgrading ERP/IT systems (SAP, PeopleSoft, Workday,
and Oracle Cloud) or moving systems to the cloud. This program introduces you to methods
to discover, document, visualize, and improve processes to reduce cost and boost efficiency.
The program helps you develop a high level of proficiency in process modeling and
redesign. Learn Business Process Modeling Notation (BPMN), Lean Six Sigma, and other
improvement approaches based on Little’s law and the theory of constraints.
This online, self-paced program can be completed in 8 weeks or less. Weekly assignments
are submitted to the University of Georgia e-Learning Commons (eLC) platform; instructor
support is available. The use of a desktop computer and web browser are the only required
technical skill sets. No detailed information technology or software use is required;
nor is a degree in business or management information systems.
Our faculty can modify this program for companies and their teams, particularly those
engaged in ERP/IT system implementations, upgrades, or migrations to the cloud, whether
these initiatives are in the planning or implementation stages.
- IT and non-IT business professionals working to improve business processes, planning,
and leading the implementation or upgrade of major ERP/IT systems or migrating these
systems to the cloud
- Leaders with budget responsibility for groups that implement ERP/IT systems
- Leaders and individual contributors in organizations focused on improving processes
- View work in a business with the “process mindset”
- Visualize and model the business process with the Business Process Modeling Notation
- Use the automated computer system and workflow logs to “process mine” and discover
the real ways in which a process executes in an organization
- Leverage such qualitative tools as Pareto charts, Fishbone Diagrams, and root cause
analysis to analyze free form feedback regarding process deficiencies
- Determine the true cost of a process (and alternative improved models) using business
- Perform an analysis to improve a business process, from a prior “as is” state to an
improved “to be” state, based on the principles of Lean Six Sigma, Little’s law, and
the theory of constraints
Eight weeks of online, self-paced assignments due weekly; student effort is estimated
at 4–5 hours per week. Instructor support is available. Software, tools, and textbook
are included in program fee.
This program is online, self-paced and runs through November 19, 2021
Send me information
Online Course, UGA eLearning Commons
Timothy Chester, PhD
Dr. Timothy Chester is vice president for information technology at the University
of Georgia and teaches Business Process Management at the UGA Terry College of Business.
He has more than 20 years of experience as a chief information officer and was responsible
for implementing ERP/IT systems in different organizations with up to $1.8 billion