PhD, Actuarial Science, Risk Management & Insurance, University of Wisconsin-Madison,
BBA, Banking & Finance, University of Georgia, 2006
BBA, Risk Management & Insurance, University of Georgia, 2005
Prior Professional Positions
Temple University, Fox School of Business, Department of Risk, Insurance, and Healthcare
Assistant Professor, 2014-2016
University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin School of Business, Department of Actuarial
Science, Risk Management, and Insurance
Teaching Assistant, 2010-2014
Lockton Companies, Atlanta, GA
Account Manager, Financial Services, 2006-2009
Amazon.com, Seattle, WA
Intern, Risk Management, 2005
Catastrophe insurance, behavioral insurance, insurance market economics, financial markets, insurer operations and strategy
- Jaspersen, J., Ragin, M., & Sydnor, J. (2021). Predicting Insurance Demand from Risk Attitudes. The Journal of Risk and Insurance. Early view: 1-34.
- Ragin, M., Collier, B. & Jaspersen, J. (2020). The Effect of Information Disclosure on Demand for High-Load Insurance. The Journal of Risk and Insurance. 88(1): 161-193.
- Jaspersen, J., Ragin, M., & Sydnor, J. (2020). Linking Subjective and Incentivized Risk Attitudes: The Importance of Losses. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty. 60:187-206.
- Collier, B. & Ragin, M. (2020). The Influence of Sellers on Contract Choice: Evidence from Flood Insurance. The Journal of Risk and Insurance. 87(2): 523-557.
- Ragin, M. & Xu, J. (2018). An Ex Post Assessment of Investor Response to Catastrophes. North American Actuarial Journal. 23(2): 250-275.
- Ragin, M., & Halek, M. (2016). Market Expectations Following Catastrophes: An Examination of Insurance Broker Returns. The Journal of Risk and Insurance. 83(4): 849-876.
- Jaspersen, J., Ragin, M., & Sydnor, J. (2020). Experimental Studies of Insurance Demand Using Amazon Mechanical Turk.
- Jaspersen, J., Peter, R., & Ragin, M. (2020). Probability Weighting: An Incomplete Solution for Insurance Demand Puzzles.
- Eastman, E., Kim, K., & Ragin, M. (2020). Gains Trading as an Earnings Management Tool: The Case of Property-Casualty Insurers.