PhD, Information Systems, Georgia State University, 2002
Prior Professional Positions
UGA, Professor, 2013 to 2016
UGA, Associate Professor, 2010 to 2013
Iowa State University, Union Pacific Professorship and Associate Professor of MIS, 2004 to 2010
Emory University, Assistant Professor, 2001 to 2004
Outstanding Teacher Award, University of Georgia, 2017
Service Award, Information Systems Research (INFORMS), 2015
Teacher of the Year, University of Georgia, SMIS, 2015
Outstanding Teacher Award, University of Georgia, 2014
Service Award, Information Systems Research (INFORMS), 2011
University-wide Early Achievement in Research award, Iowa State University, 2010
Outstanding Associate Editor award, Information Systems Research (INFORMS), 2009
Best paper award, Decision Sciences Journal, 2006
Best paper award, European Conf. on Information Systems, 2001
Terry Speciality Certificates Committee, Chair, 2010 – 2011, University
Doctoral Program Coordinator, MIS, 2012 – 2014, University
Graduate Programs Committee, Departmental Rep, 2012 – present, University
Business Technology Management Institute, Research board, 2007 – present, Community
Japan Electronics & IT Industry Association (JEITA), Advisory, 2005 – 2007, Community
Nobel Fulbright Institute, Advisory council, 2003 – 2007, Community
Japanâ€™s Joint Forum for Strategic Software Research, Advisor, 2006 – 2009, Community
Terry Alumni Board Student Awards, Selection Committee, 2013 – 2013, Professional
Music Business program, Director search committee, 2010 – 2010, University
Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), Program Co-chair, 2014 – 2014, Professional
Library committee, Member, 2014 – 2015, University
Marketing Science, Session chair, 2014 – present, Professional
MIS Quarterly, None, 2014 – present, Professional
Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), Organizer: Inaugural doctoral directors annual meeting, 2014 – present, Professional
Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), Executive Committee, 2013 – 2015, Professional
Japan's Ministry of International Trade and Industry, Advisor to "Systems-Inspired Science" program, 2013 – 2020, Professional
University Promotion and Tenure Appeals Standing Committee, Member, 2015 – present, University
Areas of Expertise
- Software ecosystems
- Corporate IT governance
- IT strategy
- 2016. Chicken or Egg? Sequential Complementarity among Salesforce Control Mechanisms. Journal Of The Academy Of Marketing Science :44(3), 2016, 316-333.
- Platform Synergy: Architectural Origins and Competitive Consequences. Information Systems Research:forthcoming.
- 2015. Editorial: Evolvable Systems: Through the Looking Glass of IS. Information Systems Research.
- Discriminating IT Governance. Information Systems Research :26(4), 2015, 656-674.
- 2015. The Impact of Deposit Insurance on Depositor Behavior During a Crisis: A Conjoint Analysis Approach. Journal Of Financial Intermediation:24(4), 2015, 590-601.
- 2015. Evolutionary Competition in Platform Ecosystems.Information Systems Research , 26(2), 2015:266-281.
- 2016. Concurrent IT Sourcing: Mechanisms and Contingent Advantages. Journal Of Management Information Systems .
- 2015. Fit and Misfit of Plural Sourcing Strategies and IT-enabled Process Integration Capabilities: Consequences for Firm Performance in the U.S. Electric Utility Industry. Mis Quarterly:39(4), 2015, 865-885.
- 2012. Novelty-Knowledge Alignment: A Theory of Design Convergence in Systems Development. Journal Of Management Information Systems, 29(1), 2012, 13-50..
- 2009. Knowledge-Governance Fit in Systems Development Projects. Information Systems Research, (20(2)):180-197.
- 2010. Complementarities between Organizational IT Architecture and Governance Structure. Information Systems Research, (21(2)):288-304.
- Platform Evolution: Coevolution of Platform Architecture, Governance, and Environmental Dynamics.Information Systems Research, (Dec 2010).
- 2005. Beyond Valuation: Real Options Thinking in IT Project Management. California Management Review, (47(2)):74-100. (Harvard reprint ID: CMR304.).
- 2008. Impact of Classes of Development Coordination Tools on Software Development Performance. Acm Transactions On Software Engineering & Methodology, (17(2)):1-47.
- 2008. Does Interfirm Modularity Complement Ignorance? A Field Study of Software Outsourcing Alliances. Strategic Management Journal, (29(11)):1241-1252.
- 2008. Does Technological Modularity Substitute for Control? A Study of Alliance Performance in Software Outsourcing.Strategic Management Journal, (29(7)):769-780.
- 2008. Do Bridging Ties Complement Strong Ties? An Empirical Examination of Alliance Ambidexterity. Strategic Management Journal, (29(3)):251-272.
- 2007. Does Peripheral Knowledge Complement Control? A Study of Technology Outsourcing Alliances.Strategic Management Journal, 28(6):623-634.
- forthcoming . Systems Development Ambidexterity: Explaining the Complementary and Substitutive Roles of Formal and Informal Controls. Journal Of Management Information Systems.
- 2007. A Comparison of Transaction Cost, Agency, and Knowledge-based Predictors of IT Outsourcing Decisions.Journal Of Management Information Systems, 24(1):263-305.
- 9-44. LEAD PAPER. Control in Internal and Outsourced Software Projects. Journal Of Management Information Systems, 26(3), (2010).
- 2005. Expertise Integration and Creativity in Information Systems Development. Journal Of Management Information Systems, 22(1):13-43. LEAD PAPER.
- 2006. IS Project Continuation in Escalation Situations: A Real Options Model. Decision Sciences Journal, 37(3), . Won The 2006 Decision Scienc:357-391.
- 2007. The Bounded Rationality Bias in Managerial Valuation of Real Options: Theory and Evidence from IT Projects. Decision Sciences Journal, 38(1):157-181.
- 2017. IT Strategy for Non-IT Managers Becoming an Engaged Contributor to Corporate IT Decisions. Mit Press.
- Platform Ecosystems: Aligning Architecture, Governance, and Strategy, 2014. Morgan Kaufmann.
- 1999. The Knowledge Management Toolkit: Orchestrating IT, Strategy, and Knowledge Platforms [Translated into French, Polish, simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Korean,and and Turkish].Prentice-Hall:Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- 2001. Knowledge Management: E-business and Customer Relationship Management Applications [Translations into French, Chinese, Hungarian, Polish, and Portuguese]. Prentice-Hall:Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- 1998. Web Security. Elsevier Press:Woburn, MA.
Editorial Board, Journal of Management Information Systems, 2010 - present
Editorial Board, Strategic Management Journal, 2013 - present
Senior Editor, Information Systems Research, 2013 - 2016
Editorial Board, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 2010 - 2015
Special Issue Co-editor, Journal of Management Information Systems, 2012 - 2013
Associate Editor, MIS Quarterly, 2012 - 2013
Associate Editor, Information Systems Research, 2008 - 2011