Department of Marketing
C322 Benson Hall630 S. Lumpkin St.Athens, GA, 30602
- Phone Numbers
- Email Address
- Mastering survivorship: How brands facilitate the transformation to heroic survivor
- Consumers' use of brands to reflect their actual and ideal selves
- Retail Spectacles and Brand Meaning: Insights from a Brand Museum Case Study
- E-Collaborative Networks: A Case Study on the New Role of the Sales Force
- Enhancing Student Learning in Marketing Courses: An Exploration of Fundamental Principles for Website Platforms
- Gift Giving: A Community Paradigm
- Distance Learning Trends and Benchmarks: Lessons from an Online MBA Program
- The Value of Social Presence in Mobile Communications
- Consumer Activism on the Internet: The Role of Anti-brand Communities
- Anti-brand communities, negotiation of brand meaning, and the learning process: The case of Wal-Mart
My research explores the meaning of brands in a consumer's everyday life. My work is cultural, qualitative, and interpretive. By understanding brands as symbolic forms of communication and interactivity, we can learn about conscious and unconscious attitudes, beliefs, and individual and group identities.
PhD, Consumer Learning and Social Behavior, University of Georgia, 2005
Prior Professional Positions
Johnson and Johnson, Management, Account Manager, 1995 to 2001
Teacher of the Year Award, Alpha Kappa Psi, 2009
Areas of Expertise
- Brand Communities
- Online Communities
- Consumer Behavior
- Sociocultural and symbolic dimensions of consumption and the cultural ecology of marketing
- Mastering Survivorship: How Brands Facilitate the Transformation to Heroic Survivor. Journal Of Business Research , 69(1):73-82.
- 2015. The value of social presence in mobile communications.. Service Industries Journal,35(11/12):611-632.
- Are Contextual Advertisements Effective? The Moderating Role of Complexity in Banner Advertising. Journal Of Advertising,33(2):351-371.
- 2012. Consumers' use of brands to reflect their actual and ideal selves on Facebook.International Journal Of Research In Marketing.
- 2011.Enhancing Student Learning in Marketing Courses: An Exploration of Fundamental Principles for Website Platforms. Journal Of Marketing Education, 33(2):171-182.
- 2010. Anti-brand Communities, Negotiation of Brand Meaning, and the Learning Process: The Case of Wal-Mart. Consumption, Markets & Culture, (13):325-345.
- 2009. E-Collaborative Networks: A Case Study on the New Role of the Sales Force. Journal Of Personal Selling And Sales Management, (29 (2)):127-138.
- 2009. Not Just a Party in the Parking Lot: An Exploratory Investigation of the Motives Underlying the Ritual Commitment of Football Tailgaters. Sports Marketing Quarterly, (18):92-106.
- 2008.Retail Spectacles and Brand Meaning: Insights from a Brand Museum Case Study. Journal Of Retailing, (84 (3)):334-353.
- 2008.The Value of Human Warmth: Social Presence Cues and Computer-Mediated Communications. Advances In Consumer Research, (35):793-794.
- 2007.An Exploratory Investigation of Consumers' Perceptions of Wireless Advertising. Journal Of Advertising, (36 (4)):129-145.
- 2006. Gift Giving: A Community Paradigm.Psychology & Marketing, (23):573-595.
- 2006. Consumer Activism on the Internet: The Role of Anti-Brand Communities.Advances In Consumer Research, (33):479-485.
- 2006.Generating Intrinsic Customer Value: Examples from Wal-Mart.Thexis, (3):16-20.
- 2005. A Behavioral Model of BrandCommunity Member Involvement: A Conceptual Framework and Empirical Results. Journal Of Customer Behavior, (4):385-424.
- 2005. Distance Learning Trends and Benchmarks. Marketing Education Review, (15):39-52.
- 2008. Wal-Mart: A Heritage Brand. University Press.
- 2006. Wal-Mart: A Heritage Brand. Advertising Express:23-30.
- 2006. Online Anti-brand Communities: An Emerging Form of Consumer Activism.Advertising Express:12-18.
- 2008.Managing Interactive Communications with Customers: The Effects of Social Presence Cues,Personalization, the Speed of Feedback and Situation. Academy Of Marketing Science.
- 2006. Online Anti-brand Communities as a New Form of Social Action. Annual Qualitative Research Conference, (IIV):205-210.
- 2004. Benchmarks for Building Community in Online Business Courses and Programs.American Marketing Association, (Enhancing Knowledge Development in Marketing).
- 2008. A Consumers’ Search for the Good Life. Psyccritiques-Contemporary Psychology: Apa Review Of Books, (53 (24)).
- 2007. Marketing Food and Beverages to Children and Youth: Who Should be Held Accountable?. Psyccritiques-Contemporary Psychology: Apa Review Of Books, (5 (25)).
- 2007. The Psychology Behind Trademark Infringement and Counterfeiting.Psyccritiques- Contemporary Psychology: Apa Review Of Books, (51 (39)).
- 2006. Reflective Democracy: A Pathway Toward Renewing American Culture.Psyccritiques- Contemporary Psychology: Apa Review Of Books, (51 (38)).
- 2006. An Historical Account of the College Admissions Process at Three Elite Universities: Secret Formulae Revealed. Psyccritiques- Contemporary Psychology: Apa Review Of Books, (51 (35)).