- PhD, Strategic Management, Pennsylvania State University, 2011
- MBA, Management, Pennsylvania State University, 2004
- BS, Exercise Science, Pennsylvania State University, 1996
Prior Professional Positions
- Lehigh University, Assistant Professor of Management, 2011 -2013
- Pennsylvania State University, Admissions Director, Executive MBA Program, 2004 -
- Strategic Management Journal Best Reviewer Award, 2018 & 2019
- Excellence in Teaching - MBA Core Course, Lehigh University, 2013
- Associate Editor, Strategic Management Journal, 2020 – present
- Delta Sigma Pi, Faculty Advisor, 2014 – present, University
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate governance
- CEO succession
- Strategic management
- CEO Succession
- Managerial Discretion or in the influence of CEOs and top managers on organizational
(† denotes current UGA student at time of submission; †† denotes former UGA student
at time of submission)
- Gentry, R., Harrison, J., Quigley, T. J., Boivie, S. (2021). A Database of CEO Turnover and Dismissal in S&P 1500 Firms, 2000 to 2018. Strategic Management Journal, 42(5): 968-991.
- Quigley, T. J., Bau, M., & Chiraco, F. (In Press). Do CEOs of Privately Held Firms Matter More or Less than Publicly Traded CEOs. Strategic Organization.
- Quigley, T. J., Wowak, A., & Crossland, C. (2020). Board Predictive Accuracy in Executive Selection Decisions: How Do Initial Board Perceptions
of CEO Quality Correspond with Subsequent CEO Career Effectiveness? Organization Science, 31(3): 720-741.
- Quigley, T. J., †Hubbard, T., Ward, A. & Graffin, S. (2020). Unintended Consequences: Information Releases and CEO Stock Option Grants. Academy of Management Journal, 63: 155-180.
- Quigley, T. J., Hambrick, D. C., Misangyi, F. F., Rizzi, A. (2019). CEO Selection as Risk-taking: A New Vantage on the Debate About the Consequences of
Insiders Versus Outsiders. Strategic Management Journal 40(9): 1453-1470.
- 2015. Shareholder perceptions of the changing impact of CEOs: Market reactions to unexpected
CEO deaths, 1950-2009. Strategic Management Journal 38(4): 939-949.
- 2015. Reaffirming the CEO effect is significant and much larger than chance: A comment on
Fitza (2014).Strategic Management Journal, 38(3): 793-801.
- 2015. Has the CEO Effect Increased in Recent Decades? A New Explanation for the Great Rise
in Americaâ€™s Attention to Corporate Leaders. Strategic Management Journal, 36(6):.
- 2014. Toward More Accurate Contextualization of the CEO Effect on Firm Performance: A New
Method and Implications. Strategic Management Journal, 35(4):.
- 2012. When the Former CEO Stays on as Board Chair: Effects on Successor Discretion, Strategic
Change, and Performance. Strategic Management Journal, 33(7):.
- Associate Editor, Strategic Management Journal, 2020 - current
- Editorial Board Member, Strategic Management Journal, 2014 - 2019