Professor and Synovus Chair in Servant Leadership
C208 Benson Hall630 South Lumpkin StreetAthens, GA, 30602
- Email Address
PhD, Strategic Management, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 2006
MBA, Management, University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh, 2001
BBA, Accounting, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 1994
Award for Scholarly Contribution, Administrative Science Quarterly, 2019
Research Excellence Award, Terry College of Business, 2017
Hugh O. Nourse Outstanding MBA Teacher Award, Terry College of Business Full-time MBA Program, 2015
Professor of the Year , Terry College of Business Evening MBA Program, 2013
Outstanding Teacher, Terry College of Business, 2012
- Corporate Governance
- CEO Reputation and Status
- CEO Succession
- Quigley, T. J., Hubbard, T. †, Ward, A. & Graffin, S. Still in Control: Information Releases and CEO Stock Option Grants. Forthcoming in the Academy of Management Journal.
- Gamache, D.L, McNamara, G.M., Graffin, S.D., Kiley, J.T. ††, Haleblian, J.J., Devers, C.D. Impression offsetting as an early warning signal of CEO self-interest in acquisitions. Forthcoming in the Academy of Management Journal.
- Campbell, R., Jeong, S., Graffin, S. 2019. Born to take risk? The effects of CEO birth order on strategic risk taking. Academy of Management Journal, 62: 1278-1306.
Hubbard, T., Christensen, D., & Graffin, S. 2017. Higher Highs and Lower Lows: The Role of Corporate Social Responsibility in CEO Dismissal. Strategic Management Journal, 38:2255-2265.
- 2017. Reaffirming the CEO effect is Significant and Much Larger than Chance: A Comment on Fitza (2014). Strategic Management Journal, 38:793-801.
- 2016. Welcome aboard! Exploring the Effects of Directorships in the Executive Labor Market.Academy Of Management Journal , 59(5):1681-1706.
- 2016. Ready, AIM, Acquire: Impression Offsetting and Acquisitions. Academy Of Management Journal , 59:232-252.
- 2016. Understanding the Direction, Magnitude, and Joint Effects of Reputation When Multiple Actors' Reputations Collide. Academy Of Management Journal , 59:188-206.
- 2015. Top Management Conservatism and Corporate Risk Strategies: Evidence from Managersâ€™ Personal Political Orientation and Corporate Tax Avoidance. Strategic Management Journal, 36:1918-1938.
- 2013. Falls from Grace and the Hazards of High Status: The 2009 British Expense Scandal and its Impact on Parliamentary Elites. Administrative Science Quarterly, 58:313-345.
- 2013. Examining CEO Succession and the Role of Heuristics in Early-Stage CEO Evaluation. Strategic Management Journal, 34:383-403.
- 2012. Time For Me to Fly: Predicting Director Exit at Large Firms. Academy Of Management Journal, 55:1334-1359.
- 2011. What's All That (Strategic) Noise? Anticipatory Impression Management in CEO Successions. Strategic Management Journal, 32:748-770.
- 2010. Certifications and Reputation: Determining the Standard of Desirability Amidst Uncertainty.Organization Science, (21):331-346.
- 2009. Under the Spotlight: Institutional Invest and Firm Reponses to the Council of Institutional Investors' Annual Focus List. Strategic Organization, (7):107-135.
- 2008. The Impact of CEO Status Diffusion on the Economic Outcomes of Other Senior Managers. Organization Science, (19):457-474.
- 2006. The Burden of Celebrity: The Impact of CEO Certification Contests on CEO Pay and Performance. Academy Of Management Journal, (49):643-660.
Editorial Board Member, Academy of Management Journal, 2010 - present
Associate Editor, Academy of Management Journal, 2013 - 2016
Editorial Board Member, Academy of Management Review, 2011 - 2014
Editorial Board Member, Academy of Management Learning & Education, 2008 - 2011