Department Head and Robert O. Arnold Professor of Business
C200A Benson Hall630 S. Lumpkin St.Athens, GA, 30602
- Phone Numbers
- Email Address
- Department of Management
Workplace Health Group
CARMA or Consortium for the Advancement of Research Methods and Analysis
PhD, Social Psychology, University of Georgia, 1982
Prior Professional Positions
University of Georgia, Management, Full Professor, 2001 to present
University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, Department of Management, Department Head and Robert O. Arnold Professor of Business, 2013 to present
University of Georgia, Management, Associate Professor, 1993 to 2001
Georgia State University, Management, Assistant/Associate Professor, 1985 to 1993
Georgia Southern University, Management, Assistant Professor, 1982 to 1985
Recipient of the 2018 best publication of the year award in Organizational Research Methods given by the Research Methods Division of the Academy of Management.
Superior Teaching Recognition, Honors Day Convocation, The University of Georgia, 2011
Distinguished Career Award, Research Methods Division, Academy of Management, 2010
Best Publication Award in Research Methods for Past Decade, Research Methods Division, Academy of Management, 2009
Faculty Research Award, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 2008
Fellow Status Conferred for Contributions to the Field of Psychology, American Psychological Association, 2007
Fellow Status Conferred for Research in Applied Psychology in the Workplace and Organizational Behavior, Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 2007
Robert McDonald Award for Best Publication in Research Methods During Past 5 Years
Research Methods Division, Academy of Management, 2005
Fellow Status Conferred for Contributions to the Study of Management, Southern Management Association, 2001
Superior Teaching Recognition, Honors Day Convocation, The University of Georgia, 2000
Teacher of the Year Award in Management, Alpha Kappa Psi (Natl. Business Fraternity), The University of Georgia, 1999
Member of Terry Advisory Committee to the Dean, Terry College of Business 2013-Present
Member of Best Paper Awards Committee for the Organizational Behavior Division, Academy of Management 2018
Member of the Thomas A. Mahoney Mentoring Award Committee for the Human Resources Management Division, Academy of Management 2014
Executive board member, Society for Organizational Behavior 2012-2015
University task force for parking and alternative travel, Member, 2009 – 2010, University
MBA Curriculum Committee, Terry College of Business, Member 2007 - 2008 University
University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, Dean's Advisory Council, Member, 2009 – 2012, University
Research Computing Advisory Council (RCAC), Member, 2009 – 2012, University
Research Awards Committee, Southern Management Association, Award committee member, 2007 – 2007, Professional
SHRM Foundation Dissertation Awards Committee, HR Division, Awards committee member, 2007 – 2007, Professional
Research Awards Committee, Research Methods Division of the Awards committee member, 2006 – 2007, Professional
Outstanding Awards Committee, Society of Industrial and Orga, Awards committee member, 2003 – 2004, Professional
University Promotion and Tenure Review Committee, Member, 2011 – 2013
University Council, Member, 2013 – 2016
Areas of Expertise
- Employee Survey Administration and Feedback
- Change Management
- Structural equation methodology
- Introductory and Advanced Statistics
- Research Methods
- Employee Involvement Processes
- Measurement Design and Validation
- Organizational Commitment
- Organizational Culture
- Statistical methods
- Structural Equation Modeling
- Workplace Safety
- Change Management
Becker, T.D., Robertson, M.M., & Vandenberg, R.J. (2018). Nonlinear transformation in organizational research: Possible problems and potential solutions. Organizational ResearchMethods.DOI:10.1177/1094428118775205
Haynes, N.J., Vandenberg, R.J., DeJoy, D.M., Wilson, M.G., Padilla, H.M., Zuercher, H.S., & Robertson, M.M. (2018). The workplace health group: A case study of 20 years of multidisciplinary research. American Psychologist. DOI: doi.org/10.1037/amp0000445
Li, M., Sharp, B.M., Bergh, D.D., & Vandenberg, R.J. (2018). Statistical and methodological myths and urban legends in strategic management research: The case of moderation analysis. European Management Review. DOI: 10.1111/emre.12319
Smith, M.B., Wallace, J.C., Vandenberg, R.J., Mondore, S. (2018). Employee involvement climate, task and citizenship performance, and instability as a moderator. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 29, 615-636.
Cortina, J.M., Green, J.P., Keeler, K.R., & Vandenberg, R.J. (2017). Degrees of freedom in SEM: Are we testing the models that we claim to test? Organizational Research Methods, 20, 350-378. (DOI: 10.1177/1094428116676345).
Sardeshmukh S. & Vandenberg, R.J. (2017). Integrating moderation and mediation: A structural equation modeling approach. Organizational Research Methods, 20, 721-745. (DOI: 10.1177/1094428115621609).
Wang, M., Beal, D.J., Chan, D., Newman, D.A., Vancouver, J.B., & Vandenberg, R.J. (2017). Longitudinal Research: A Panel Discussion on Conceptual, Methodological, and Practical Issues. Work, Aging and Retirement, 3, 1-24.
- 2014. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure: Improving research quality before
data collection. . Annual Review Of Organizational Psych & Organizational Behavior, 1:569-595.
- 2014. Developmental climate: A cross-level analysis of voluntary turnover and job performance. Journal Of Vocational Behavior, 84:283-292.
- 2013. Commitment profiles and employee turnover. Journal Of Vocational Behavior, 82:176-187.
- 2013. A person-centered approach to the study of commitment. Human Resource Management Review, 23:190-202.
- 2010. A review and synthesis of longitudinal data analytical procedures in the organizational
sciences.Journal Of Management, (36):96-120.
- 2010. Assessing the impact of a healthy work organization intervention. Journal Of Occupational And Organizational Psychology, (83):139-165.
- 2009. Structural equation modeling in management research: A guide for improved analysis. The Academy Of Management Annals, (3):543-605.
- 2008. What is the nature and strength of perceived organizational supportÃ¢Â€Â™s role in
stressor-strain relationships? Examining differences based on stressor and strain
type. Journal Of Managerial Psychology, (23):789-810.
- 2007. A Model of Union Participation: The Impact of Perceived Union Support, Union Instrumentality,
and Union Loyalty. Journal Of Applied Psychology, (92):820-828.
- 2006. Statistical and methodological myths and urban legends: Where pray tell did they get
this idea? . Organizational Research Methods, (9):194-201.
- 2005. The Role of Change in the Relationship between Commitment and Turnover: A Latent Growth
Modeling Approach. Journal Of Applied Psychology, (90):468-482.
- 2005. Integrating managerial perceptions and transformational leadership into a work-unit
level model of employee involvement. Journal Of Organizational Behavior, (26):561-589.
- 2005.Employee involvement and organizational effectiveness: An organizational system perspective. Human Resource Management, (44):471-488.
- 2004. Work characteristics and employee health and well-being: Test of a model of healthy
work organization. Journal Of Occupational And Organizational Psychology, (77):565-588.
- 2003. A review of advanced applications of structural equation techniques in organizational
behavior and human resources management research.Journal Of Management, (29):903-936.
- 2000. A Review and synthesis of the measurement invariance literature: Suggestions, practices and recommendations for organizational research. Organizational Research Methods, (3):4-70.
Vandenberg, R.J., & Richardson, H.A. (2019). A primer on multilevel structural equation modeling: User-friendly guidelines. In S.E. Humphrey, & J.M. LeBreton (eds.), The Handbook of Multilevel Theory, Measurement, and Analysis. (pp. 449-472). Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
McTernan, W. P., Dollard, M. F., Tuckey, M., Vandenberg, R. (2016). Beneath the surface:An exploration of remoteness and work stress in the mines. In A. Shimazu, R. Bin-Nordin, M. Dollard, & J. Oakman (Eds.), Psychosocial Factors at Work in the Asia Pacific: From Theory to Practice (pp. 341-358). New York, NY: Springer.
- 2016. The not so direct cross-level direct effect. Routledge:292-310.
- 2016. A contemporary update on testing for measurement invariance and equivalence.. Edward Elgar,1:449-461.
- 2005. A latent variable approach to rating source equivalence: Who should provide ratings
on organizational citizenship behavior dimensions?. In D. Turnipseed (Ed.), A Handbook Of Organizational Behavior Ci:109-141.
- 2002. Placing job stress in perspective: An organizational network view of its antecedents
and consequences. In P. PerrewÃ£Â© & D. Ganster (Eds.), Historical And Current Persp, (2):57-116.
- 2009. The statistical and methodological challenges underlying a new era of commitment research. In H.J. Klein, T.E. Becker, & J.P. Meyer (Eds.), Commitment In O, (Organizational Frontier Series):383-418.
- 2011. The Revolution With a Solution: All is Not Quiet on the Statistical and Methodological Myths and Urban Legends Front. In D.J. Ketchen, Jr. And D.D. Bergh (Eds.), Research Methodology, 6:237-257.
Editorial Board Member, Organizational Research Methods, 2010 - present
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Applied Psychology, 2017 - present
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Management, 2017 - present
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Management, 2008 - 2015
Editor-In-Chief, Organizational Research Methods, 2008 - 2010
Editorial Board Member, British Journal of Management, 2006 - 2009
Associate Editor, Organizational Research Methods, 2003 - 2007
Editorial Board Member, Organizational Research Methods, 2000 - 2002
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Applied Psychology, 1993 - 2000
Editorial Board Member, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 1994 - 1999