PhD, Strategic Management, University of Maryland, 2007
MBA, Management, University of North Alabama, 2002
BA, Economics and German, University of Notre Dame, 1992
- Corporate reputation and celebrity
- Media accounts
- Impression and crisis management
- Role of business in society
- Wang, X., Reger, R.K., & Pfarrer, M.D. Faster, hotter, and more linked-in: Managing social disapproval in the Social Media Era. Forthcoming at Academy of Management Review.
- Harrison, J.S., Boivie, S., Thurgood, G.R., & Pfarrer, M.D. In the eye of the beholder: How CEOs’ observed personality traits influence market perceptions of firm risk and the risk-return relationship. Forthcoming at Academy of Management Journal.
- Busenbark, J.R., Pfarrer, M.D., Miller, B.P., & Marshall, N.T. How the severity gap influences the effect of top-actor performance on outcomes following a violation. Forthcoming at Strategic Management Journal.
- Harrison, J.S., Boivie, S., Thurgood, G.R., & Pfarrer, M.D. 2019. Measuring CEO personality: Developing, validating, and testing a linguistic tool. Strategic Management Journal, 40: 1316-1330.
- Hubbard, T.D., Pollock, T.G., Pfarrer, M.D., & Rindova, V.P. 2018. Safe bets or hot hands? How status and celebrity influence newly public firms' strategic alliance formations. Academy of Management Journal, 61:1976-1999.
- 2017. High-reputation firms and their differential acquisition behaviors. Strategic Management Journal, 38:2237-2254.
- 2017. Celebrity and infamy? The consequences of media narratives about organizational identity. Academy of Management Review, 42:461-480.
- 2017. Crises and crisis management: Integration, interpretation, and research development. Journal of Management, 43:1661-1692.
- 2016. Reputation as a Benefit and a Burden? How Organizational Reputation Affects Low- and High-Identification Stakeholders' Reactions to a Negative Event. Academy of Management Journal, 53:253-276.
- 2015. A Burden of Responsibility: The Role of Social Approval at the Onset of a Crisis. Academy of Management Review, 40:345-369.
- 2014. A Theory of Collective Empathy in Corporate Philanthropy Decisions. Academy of Management Review, 39:1-21.
- 2014. Legitimacy-as-Feeling: How Affect Leads to Vertical Legitimacy Spillovers in Transnational Governance. Journal of Management Studies, 51:634-666.
- 2012.Managing the Message: The Effects of Firm Actions and Industry Spillovers on Media Coverage Following Wrongdoing. Academy of Management Journal, 55:1079-1101.
- 2012. A Communicative Framework of Value in Cross-Sector Partnerships. Academy of Management Review, 37:332-354.
- 2010. A Tale of Two Assets: The Effects of Firm Reputation and Celebrity on Earnings Surprises and Investors' Reactions. Academy of Management Journal, 53:1131-1152.
- 2008. After the Fall: Reintegrating the Corrupt Organization. Academy of Management Review, 33:730-749.
- 2008. Coming Forward: The Effects of Social and Regulatory Forces on the Voluntary Restatement of Earnings Subsequent to Wrongdoing. Organization Science, 19:386-403.
- 2008. CEOs on the Edge: Earnings Manipulation and Stock-Based Incentive Misalignment. Academy of Management Journal, 51:241-258.
- 2007. A Content Analysis of the Content Analysis Literature in Organization Studies: Research Themes, Data Sources, and Methodological Refinements. Organizational Research Methods, 10:5-34.
Editorial Board, Academy of Management Journal, 2010 - present
Editorial Board, Academy of Management Review, 2009 - present
Associate Editor, Academy of Management Review, 2014 - 2017