Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Programs & C. Herman and Mary Virginia Terry Distinguished Chair of Business Administration
PhD, Strategic Management, University of Maryland, 2007
MBA, Management, University of North Alabama, 2002
BA, Economics and German, University of Notre Dame, 1992
- Terry Professional MBA Outstanding Professor Award, 2018, 2019
- Terry College of Business Outstanding Teacher, 2013, 2016
- National Communication Association Article of the Year, 2012
- Organization Research Methods Best Publication Award, 2007
- Corporate reputation and celebrity
- Media accounts
- Impression and crisis management
- Role of business in society
- Wang, X., Reger, R.K., & Pfarrer, M.D. Faster, hotter, and more linked-in: Managing social disapproval in the Social Media Era. Forthcoming at Academy of Management Review.
- Harrison, J.S., Boivie, S., Thurgood, G.R., & Pfarrer, M.D. In the eye of the beholder: How CEOs’ observed personality traits influence market perceptions of firm risk and the risk-return relationship. Forthcoming at Academy of Management Journal.
- Busenbark, J.R., Pfarrer, M.D., Miller, B.P., & Marshall, N.T. How the severity gap influences the effect of top-actor performance on outcomes following a violation. Forthcoming at Strategic Management Journal.
- Harrison, J.S., Boivie, S., Thurgood, G.R., & Pfarrer, M.D. 2019. Measuring CEO personality: Developing, validating, and testing a linguistic tool. Strategic Management Journal, 40: 1316-1330.
- Hubbard, T.D., Pollock, T.G., Pfarrer, M.D., & Rindova, V.P. 2018. Safe bets or hot hands? How status and celebrity influence newly public firms' strategic alliance formations. Academy of Management Journal, 61:1976-1999.
- 2017. High-reputation firms and their differential acquisition behaviors. Strategic Management Journal, 38:2237-2254.
- 2017. Celebrity and infamy? The consequences of media narratives about organizational identity. Academy of Management Review, 42:461-480.
- 2017. Crises and crisis management: Integration, interpretation, and research development. Journal of Management, 43:1661-1692.
- 2016. Reputation as a Benefit and a Burden? How Organizational Reputation Affects Low- and High-Identification Stakeholders' Reactions to a Negative Event. Academy of Management Journal, 53:253-276.
- 2015. A Burden of Responsibility: The Role of Social Approval at the Onset of a Crisis. Academy of Management Review, 40:345-369.
- 2014. A Theory of Collective Empathy in Corporate Philanthropy Decisions. Academy of Management Review, 39:1-21.
- 2014. Legitimacy-as-Feeling: How Affect Leads to Vertical Legitimacy Spillovers in Transnational Governance. Journal of Management Studies, 51:634-666.
- 2012.Managing the Message: The Effects of Firm Actions and Industry Spillovers on Media Coverage Following Wrongdoing. Academy of Management Journal, 55:1079-1101.
- 2012. A Communicative Framework of Value in Cross-Sector Partnerships. Academy of Management Review, 37:332-354.
- 2010. A Tale of Two Assets: The Effects of Firm Reputation and Celebrity on Earnings Surprises and Investors' Reactions. Academy of Management Journal, 53:1131-1152.
- 2008. After the Fall: Reintegrating the Corrupt Organization. Academy of Management Review, 33:730-749.
- 2008. Coming Forward: The Effects of Social and Regulatory Forces on the Voluntary Restatement of Earnings Subsequent to Wrongdoing. Organization Science, 19:386-403.
- 2008. CEOs on the Edge: Earnings Manipulation and Stock-Based Incentive Misalignment. Academy of Management Journal, 51:241-258.
- 2007. A Content Analysis of the Content Analysis Literature in Organization Studies: Research Themes, Data Sources, and Methodological Refinements. Organizational Research Methods, 10:5-34.
Editorial Board, Academy of Management Journal, 2010 - present
Editorial Board, Academy of Management Review, 2009 - present
Associate Editor, Academy of Management Review, 2014 - 2017