Professor Emeritus Scherer Chair of Management Emeritus
- Email Address
Archie Carroll served for 40 years (33 full time + 7 part time) on the faculty of the Terry College of Business, University of Georgia. He served as Professor, Robert W. Scherer Chair of Management, Department Head, and Associate Dean. He retired from his full-time tenured position in 2005 and was named professor emeritus in 2006. He served as (part-time) Director of the Nonprofit Program from 2000 - 2012.
Carroll received his three academic degrees in management from the College of Business, The Florida State University (Tallahassee).
Carroll is senior co-author of Business & Society: Ethics, Sustainability and Stakeholder Management, (2018), 10th edition, with Jill Brown (Bentley University) and the late Ann K. Buchholtz (Rutgers University) one of the leading books in the field, and is co-author of Corporate Responsibility: The American Experience (2012), Cambridge University Press. In 2014, this book won the BEST BOOK AWARD at the Academy of Management's Social Issues in Management Division. He also is author of Business Ethics: Brief Readings on Vital Topics (2009).
In 2017, he, and co-authors, won the 2017 Best Paper Finalist Award presented by Business & Society journal. He was awarded the 2016 SMA Hunt Sustained Outstanding Service Award given by the Southern Management Association. In 2012, Dr. Carroll was awarded the first Lifetime Achievement Award in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) by the Institute of Management, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany. He was recognized in 2008 with the Outstanding PhD Graduate Award, College of Business, Florida State University. He is a Fellow of the Academy of Management (AOM), International Association for Business and Society (IABS) and the Southern Management Association (SMA). He has received numerous awards and recognitions over the years for his teaching, research and service. He is former President of the Society for Business Ethics (1998-1999) and former chair (1976-1977) of the Social Issues in Management Division of the Academy of Management. .
He has published over 100 articles in leading management journals and over 20 books, including multiple editions of several. He has taught extensively in Executive Development Programs in both the U. S. and abroad. He remains actively-retired in writing and professional service.
PhD, Management & Organization Theory, Florida State University, 1972
MBA, Management & Organizations, Florida State University, 1966
BS, Business Administration, Florida State University, 1965
Prior Professional Positions
University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, Robert W. Scherer Chair/Professor Emeritus, 2005 to present
University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, University of Georgia, Professor, Study Abroad - Verona, Italy, 2001 to 2010
University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, Robert W. Scherer Chair, 1986 to 2005
University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, Professor, 1979 to 2005
University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, Department Head, 1995 to 2000
University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, Associate Professor, 1976 to 1979
University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, Assistant Professor, 1972 to 1975
Florida State University College of Business, Instructor, 1969 to 1972
Athens (Ala.) College, Asst. Professor, 1966 to 1969
BEST PAPER FINALIST AWARD, 2017, BUSINESS & SOCIETY journal, presented at 2018 Academy
of Management Annual Meeting (with co-authors Drs. Shabana and Buchholtz).
Hunt SMA SUSTAINED OUTSTANDING SERVICE AWARD, Southern Management Association, 2016
BEST BOOK AWARD - Social Issues in Management, Academy of Management, 2014
LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD in Corporate Social Responsibility, Humboldt University Berlin, 2012
FELLOW, International Assn for Business & Society (IABS), 2011
DISTINGUISHED PhD AWARD, Florida State University College of Business, 2008
FELLOW, Academy of Management, 2005
Who's Who in America, Who's Who in America National, 2004
Distinguished Faculty Service Award, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 2003
Golden Key National Honor Society, Golden Key, U. of Georgia, 1997
Fellow, Southern Management Association, 1996
Who's Who Among America's Teachers, Who's Who National, 1994
Sumner Marcus Distinguished Service Award, Social Issues in Management, Academy of Management, 1992
Distinguished Faculty Research Award, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 1992
Academy of Management, SIM Division, Buchholtz Mentoring Award Committee, 2017-2021
UGA Retiree's Association (UGARA), Council Chair, 2006 – 2009, University
Southern Management Association, Chair, Service Award Committee, 2003 – 2005, Professional
Society for Business Ethics, Board Member, 1996 – 2001, Professional
Society for Business Ethics, President, 1998 – 1999, Professional
Southern Management Association, Board Member, 1995 – 1998, Professional
International Assn for Business & Society (IABS), Founding Board Member, 1990 – 1993, Professional
SIM Division - Academy of Management, Board Member, 1975 – 1978, Professional
SIM Division - Academy of Management, Division Chair, 1976 – 1977, Professional
SIM Div - Academy of Management, Chair, CSR Paper Award Committee, 2011 – present, Professional
Academy of Management, Fellow, 2005 – present, Professional
Business Ethics: A European Review, Paper presenter, session chair, discussant, reviewer, participant, 1990 – present, Professional
Southern Management Association, Awards committee member, 2016 – 2017, Professional
Academy of Management, SIM Division, Awards committee member, 2016 – present, Professional
Social Issues In Management, Academy of Management, Committee Member of Buchholtz Mentor Award, 2017-2020
Areas of Expertise
- Business Ethics
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
- Corporate social performance/Impact/Stakeholder management
- Strategic Management
- Nonprofit Governance & Management
- Corporate Social Responsibility, Performance & Impact
- Business Ethics
- Stakeholder Theory/Management
- Nonprofit Management/Governance
- 2015. Corporate social responsibility: The centerpiece of competing and complimentary frameworks. Organizational Dynamics, 44:87-96.
- 2016. The Institutionalization of Corporate Social Reporting, Business and Society, 1-29.. International Assn For Business & Society (Iabs) :1-29. DOI: 10.1177/0007650316628177
- June 7, 2011. The Business Case for Corporate Social Responsibility. The Conference Board: Director's Notes.
- 2011. Professor Juha Nasi: A Professional and Personal Tribute. Journal Of Business Ethics.
- June 2008. Integrating and Unifying Competing and Complementary Frameworks: The Search for a Common Core in the Business and Society Field. Business & Society, (47):148 - 186.
- Jan/Feb 2005. "An Ethical Education". Bized, (Vol. IV Issue 2):36-40.
- May 2004. Managing Ethically with Global Stakeholders: A Present and Future Challenge. Academy Of Management Executive, (Vol. 18, No. 2):114-120.
- October 2003. Corporate Social Responsibility: A Three-Domain Approach. Business Ethics Quarterly, (13):503-530.
- April 2001. Models of Management Morality for the New Millennium. Business Ethics Quarterly, (11, Issue 2):365-371.
- January 2000. Ethical Challenges for Business in the New Millennium:. Business Ethics Quarterly, (10, Issue 1):33-42.
- Archie B. Carroll. 1999. Corporate Social Responsibility: Evolution of a Definitional Construct. Business & Society 38: 1. September. 268-295.
- 2011. Assessing Ethics Education in a Business, Government and Society Course Context.Information Age Publishing (Iap):263-276.
- 2008. "Corporate Social Responsibility and Performance". Encyclopedia Of Business Ethics And Society, (Sage).
- 2008. A History of Corporate Social Responsibility: Concepts and Practices. The Oxford Handbook Of Corporate Social Responsibility:19-46.
- 2003. Ethical Leadership: From Moral Manager to Moral Leader. No Publisher, (I):7-17.
- 2000. Conceptual and Consulting Aspects of Stakeholder Theory, Thinking and Management. Handbook Of Organizational Consultation, 2nd Ed.:169-181.
- 2018. Business & Society: Ethics, Sustainability & Stakeholder Management. Cengage Learning, 10th Edition:750.
- 2012. Corporate Responsibility: The American Experience.Cambridge University Press.
- 2009, June. Business Ethics: Brief Readings on Vital Topics. Routledge Publishers:260.
- Archie B. Carroll, 1981. Business and Society: Managing Corporate Social Performance. Little, Brown & Co.
- Archie B. Carroll, 1977 (ed.) Managing Corporate Social Performance. Boston: Little, Brown & Co.