UGA Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and Josiah Meigs Distinguished Teaching Professor
PhD, English (American Lit.), University of Georgia, 1998
JD, Law, New York Law School, 1987
BA, English, Colgate University, 1983
Prior Professional Positions
Kilpatrick & Cody (now Kilpatrick Townsend LLP), Litigation, Attorney, 1987 to 1992
Southeastern Academy of Legal Studies in Business, Larry DiMatteo Senior Scholar Award,
Hugh O. Nourse Outstanding MBA Teacher Award (core curriculum), 2016
American Business Law Journal Hoeber Memorial Award for Excellence in Research (with Stephen Park), 2015
Creative Teaching Award, University of Georgia, 2014Outstanding Teaching Award, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 2011
Ralph J. Bunche Award - Best International Research Paper, Academy of Legal Studies in Business - International Section, 2010
Master Teacher, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2010
Outstanding Teacher Recognition, Student Government Association, 2008
Lothar Tresp Outstanding Honors Professor, Honors Program, 2006
Hober Excellence in Research Award, Journal of Legal Studies in Education, 2005
Emil S. Troelston Award for Outstanding Business Education, Alpha Kappa Psi, 2005
Richard Russell Undergraduate Teaching Award, University of Georgia, 2004
J. Hatten Howard Teaching Award, UGA Honors Program, 2003
Academy of Legal Studies in Business, President, 2018-19, Professional
International Law Section, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, President, 2008 – 2009, Professional
Labor & Employment Section, Academy of Legal Studies in Business, Chair, 2006 – 2007, Professional
Southeastern Academy of Legal Studies in Business, President, 2005 – 2006, Professional
International Committee, ABA Labor & Employment Section, Emp, Co-Chair, 2004 – 2014, Professional
Southeastern Academy of Legal Studies in Business, Secretary/Treasurer, 2015 – 2016, Professional
- Employment Law - International and Domestic
- Protection of Trade Secrets
- International Trade Law
- 2015. The Long Arm of Section 337: International Trade Law as a Global Business Remedy. American Business Law Journal .
- 2013. Labor Rights are Human Rights: Direct Action is Critical in Supply Chains and Trade Policy. South Carolina Journal Of International Law And Business, 10(1):1-62.
- 2012. Preventing Know-How from Walking out the Door in China: Protection of Trade Secrets. Business Horizons, 55(4).
- 2012. U.S. Trade Policy: Increased Emphasis on Worker Rights. Georgia Journal Of International And Comparative Law, 40(3).
- 2011. Say on Pay: The Movement to Reform Executive Compensation in the U.S. and Europe. Northwestern Journal Of International Law & Business,31:591-634.
- 2010. From China to Your Plate: An Analysis of New Regulatory Efforts and Stakeholder Responsibility to Ensure Food Safety. George Washington International Law Review, 42(1):1-55.
- 2009. Is Labor Really Cheap In China? Compliance with Labor and Employment Laws. San Diego International Law Journal, (10:2).
- 2008. Protecting Trade Secrets in China: Update on Employee Disclosures and the Limitations of the Law.American Business Law Journal, (45:2).
- 2008. Getting Under Your Skin-Literally: RFID in the Employment Context. Journal Of Law, Technology & Policy.
- 2007. Between a Rock and a Hard Place: The Conflict Between U.S. Corporate Codes of Conduct and European Privacy and Work Laws. Berkeley Journal Of Employment And Labor Law, (28:2).
- Winter 2007. The Google Challenge: Enforcement of Non-Compete and Trade Secret Agreements in China. American Business Law Journal, (44.4).
- Leveling the Playing Field: Labor Standards in CAFTA. Fordham Journal Of International Law, 29(2).
- 2004. The Perils of Control: Affiliated Liability Under the WARN Act. American Business Law Journal, 41(2-3).
- 2004. Enforcing International Labor Standards: The Potential of the Alien Tort Claims Act . Vanderbilt Journal Of Transnational Law, 37.
- 2004. An Interpretive Turn in International Sales Law: An Analysis of Fifteen Years of CISG Jurisprudence.Northwestern Journal Of International Business Law, 24(2).
- 2004. What Do You Do When You Are Not At Work? Limiting the Use of Off-Duty Conduct as the Basis for Adverse Employment Actions. Journal Of Labor And Employment Law (University Of Pennsylvania), 6(3).
- 2001. Genetic Discrimination in the Workplace: Employee's Right to Privacy v. An Employer's Need to Know.American Business Law Journal, 39(1).
- 2015. The Legal and Regulatory Environment of Business 17th ed. . McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
- 2015. Managing the Legal Nexus Between Intellectual Property and Employees: Domestic and Global Contexts. Edward Elgar.
- 2013. Legal and Regulatory Environment of Business.Mcgraw-Hill/Irwin, (16th edition).
- 2005. International Sales Law: A Critical Analysis of CISG Jurisprudence. Cambridge University Press.
- 2001. In Defiance of the Law. Peter Lang.
Editor-In-Chief, American Business Law Journal, 2013 - 2014
Managing Editor, American Business Law Journal, 2012 - 2013
Articles Editor, American Business Law Journal, 2009 - 2012
Managing Editor, Journal of Legal Studies in Business, 2002 - 2005
Editor-In-Chief, Georgia Bar Journal, 2001 - 2002