Synovus Director of the Institute for Leadership Advancement and Associate Professor
PhD, Organizational Behavior, Oklahoma State University, 2007
MBA, Business, University of Texas, 2001
BA, Psychology, Vanderbilt University, 1996
Prior Professional Positions
Oklahoma State University, Management, Visiting Professor, 2006 to 2008
Bearing Point, Telecommunications, Consultant, 2001 to 2003
Nokia, Internet Communications, Project Manager, 2000 to 2001
Best Paper Award 2016, Academy of Management Journal, 2016
Outstanding Reviewer Award, Academy of Management, OB Division, 2014
Outstanding Teacher Award, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 2014
Outstanding Reviewer Award, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 2012
Outstanding Reviewer Award, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 2011
Outstanding Reviewer Award, Academy of Management, OB Division, 2011
Outstanding Reviewer Award, Academy of Management, OB Division, 2007
Southern Management Association, Board Member, 2012 – present, Professional
- Emotion Regulation
- Self Regulation
- Paustian-Underdahl, S., Mandeville, A., Eaton, A., & Little, L.M. Pushed out or opting out? Integrating perspectives on gender differences in withdrawal attitudes during pregnancy, [Forthcoming], Journal of Applied Psychology.
- A blessing and a curse: How CEOs’ trait empathy affects their management of organizational crises. [Forthcoming], Academy of Management Review.
- When expectations become reality: Work-family image management and identity adaptation. Academy Of Management Review, 44, 126-149. (2019).
- Managing the Harmful Effects of Unsupportive Organizations During Pregnancy. Journal Of Applied Psychology, 103, 631-643.
- 2017. Make them feel: How the disclosure of pregnancy affects supervisor exchange relationships. Organization Science, 28:618-635.
- 2016. The Role of Leader Emotion Management in Leader-Member Exchange and Follower Outcomes. The Leadership Quarterly, 27:85-97.
- 2015. Professional image maintenance: How women navigate pregnancy in the workplace. Academy Of Management Journal, 58:8-37.
- 2014. A theory of collective empathy in corporate philanthropy decisions. Academy Of Management Review, 39:1-21.
- 2014. Employee attachment: Implications for supervisor trustworthiness and trust.Journal Of Business And Psychology, 30:373-386.
- 2013. More than happy to help? Customer-focused emotion management strategies.Personnel Psychology, 66:261-286.
- 2012.Development and validation of the interpersonal emotion management strategies scale. Journal Of Occupational And Organizational Psychology, 85:407-420.
- 2011. Stressful Demands or Helpful Guidance? The Role of Display Rules in Indian Call Centers. Journal Of Vocational Behavior, 79(3):724-733.
- 2011. Integrating attachment styles, vigor, and extra-role performance. Journal Of Organizational Behavior, 32:464-484.
- 2010. CEO motivational foci, environmental dynamism, and small firm performance. Journal Of Small Business Management, (48):580-604.
- 2009. State or trait: Effects of state optimism on job-related outcomes. Journal Of Organizational Behavior, (30):209-231.
- 2009. Secure attachment style: Implications for hope, trust, burnout, and performance. Journal Of Organizational Behavior, (30):233-247.
- 2009. The moderating effect of network centrality on motive to perform interpersonal citizenship. Journal Of Management Issues, (13):95-104.
- 2008. The moderating effects of task complexity on the relationship between regulatory foci and safety and production performance. Journal Of Occupational Health Psychology, (13):95-104.
- 2007. Health among leaders: Positive and negative affect, engagement and burnout, forgiveness and revenge. Journal Of Management Studies, (44):243-260.
- 2010.Positive Organizational Behavior at Work. International Review Of Industrial And Organizational Psychology, (25):253-292.
- 2009. Positive emotions, attitudes, and health: motivated, engaged, focused. The Oxford Handbook Of Organizational Well Being..
- 2008. Employee Well Being: The Heart of Positive Organizational Behavior. Employee Well Being Support: A Workplace Resource:51-60.
- 2007. Positive Psychological Capital: Has Positivity Clouded Measurement Rigor?. Positive Organizational Behavior: Accentuating The Positive At W:191-209.
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 2012 - present
Editorial Board Member, Personnel Psychology, 2017 - present
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 2008 - 2017