PhD, Finance, Indiana University - Kelley School of Business, 2005
MS, Finance, Indiana University - Kelley School of Business, 2003
Prior Professional Positions
Virginia Tech, Associate Professor, 2016 to 2016
Virginia Tech, Assistant Professor, 2011 to 2016
Federal Reserve Board of Governors, Financial Economist, 2005 to 2011
Ph.D. Program Director, 2019-present
Graduate Coordinator, 2019-present
College Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Board, 2017-2019
- International Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Finance
- Ugur Lel, Darius Miller. 2019. The labor market for directors and externalities in corporate governance: evidence from the international labor market. Journal of Accounting and Economics.
- Ugur Lel. Can institutional investors restrain earnings management activities in weak investor protection countries? The role of foreign and domestic institutional investors, 2019. Journal of International Business Studies.
- Ugur Lel, Natalia Reisel, Darius Miller, 2019. Explaining top management turnover in private corporations: The role of cross-country legal institutions and capital market forces. Journal of International Business Studies.
- Ugur Lel, Ricardo Correa. 2016. Say on pay laws, executive compensation, pay slice, and firm valuation around the world. Journal of Financial Economics.
- Ugur Lel, Darius Miller. 2015. Does takeover activity cause managerial discipline? Evidence from international M&A laws. Review of Financial Studies.
- Ugur Lel, Antonio Falato, Dalida Kadyrzhanova. 2014. Distracted directors: Does board busyness hurt shareholder value? Journal of Financial Economics.
- Ugur Lel, Jason Kotter. 2011. Friends or foes? Target selection decisions of sovereign wealth funds and their consequences. Journal of Financial Economics.
- Ugur Lel, Darius Miller, Nuno Fernandes. 2010. Escape from New York: the market impact of SEC rule 12h-6, 2010. Journal of Financial Economics.
- Ugur Lel, Darius Miller. 2008. International cross-listing, firm performance and top management turnover: a test of the bonding hypothesis. Journal of Finance.
- Ugur Lel, Darius Miller, George Allayannis. 2012. The use of foreign currency derivatives, corporate governance, and firm value around the world. Journal of International Economics.
- Ugur Lel. 2012. Currency hedging and corporate governance: a cross-country analysis. Journal of Corporate Finance.
- Ugur Lel, Dogan Tirtiroglu, Harjeet Bhabra. 2004. Political risk and business relocations: evidence from Quebec and the rest of Canada. Journal of Banking and Finance.
- Ugur Lel, Dogan Tirtiroglu, Harjeet Bhabra. 2002. Stock market reaction to headquarters relocation decisions in Canada. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences.