PhD, Finance, Indiana University - Kelley School of Business, 2005
MS, Finance, Indiana University - Kelley School of Business, 2003
Prior Professional Positions
Virginia Tech, Associate Professor, 2016 to 2016
Virginia Tech, Assistant Professor, 2011 to 2016
Federal Reserve Board of Governors, Financial Economist, 2005 to 2011
Ph.D. Program Director, 2019-present
Graduate Coordinator, 2019-present
College Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Board, 2017-2019
- International Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Finance
- Delegated monitoring, institutional ownership, and corporate misconduct spillovers, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, conditionally accepted (with J. Martin and Z. Qin).
- The labor market for directors and externalities in corporate governance: evidence from the international labor market. Journal of Accounting and Economics 2019 (with D. Miller).
- Can institutional investors restrain earnings management activities in weak investor protection countries? The role of foreign and domestic institutional investors. Journal of International Business Studies 2019.
- Explaining top management turnover in private corporations: The role of cross-country legal institutions and capital market forces. Journal of International Business Studies 2019 (with D. Miller and N. Reisel).
- Say on pay laws, executive compensation, pay slice, and firm valuation around the world. Journal of Financial Economics 2016 (with R. Correa).
- Does takeover activity cause managerial discipline? Evidence from international M&A laws. Review of Financial Studies 2015 (with D. Miller).
- Distracted directors: Does board busyness hurt shareholder value? Journal of Financial Economics 2014 (with A. Falato and D. Kadyrzhanova).
- Friends or foes? Target selection decisions of sovereign wealth funds and their consequences. Journal of Financial Economics 2011 (with J. Kotter).
- Escape from New York: the market impact of SEC rule 12h-6. Journal of Financial Economics 2010 (with D. Miller and N. Fernandes).
- International cross-listing, firm performance and top management turnover: a test of the bonding hypothesis. Journal of Finance 2008 (with D. Miller).
- The use of foreign currency derivatives, corporate governance, and firm value around the world. Journal of International Economics 2012 (with G. Allayannis and D. Miller).
- Currency hedging and corporate governance: a cross-country analysis. Journal of Corporate Finance 2012.
- Political risk and business relocations: evidence from Quebec and the rest of Canada. Journal of Banking and Finance 2004 (with H. Bhabra and D. Tirtiroglu).
- Stock market reaction to headquarters relocation decisions in Canada. Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences 2002 (with H. Bhabra and D. Tirtiroglu).