PhD, Economics, The University of Western Ontario, 1999
MA, Economics, The University of Western Ontario, 1995
MBA, Université Laval, 1993
BA, Accounting, Université Laval, 1991
Prior Professional Positions
Associate Professor, University of Iowa, 2011—2018
Professor, University of Southampton, 2010—2011
Reader, University of Southampton, 2007—2010
Assistant Professor, The University of Western Ontario, 2002—2007
Assistant Professor, Queen's University, 2001—2002
Research Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, 1999—2002
Areas of Expertise
- Life after Debt: Post-Graduation Consequences of Federal Student Loans, with Nicolas Ziebarth. Economic Inquiry, Forthcoming.
- What Should I Be When I Grow Up? Occupations and Unemployment over the Life Cycle, with Nir Jaimovich, Henry Siu, and Yaniv Yedid-Levi. Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol. 83, pp. 54—70, October 2016.
- Technological Learning and Labor Market Dynamics, with Nir Jaimovich, Henry Siu, and Yaniv Yedid-Levi. International Economic Review, Vol. 56 (1), pp. 27—53, February 2015.
- Optimal Fiscal Policy in the Neoclassical Growth Model Revisited, with Alessandro Mennuni. European Economic Review, Vol. 73, pp. 1—17, January 2015.
- On the Optimality of Age-Dependent Taxes and the Progressive U.S. Tax System. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Vol. 36 (4), pp. 682—691, April 2012.
- Why Has Home Ownership Fallen Among the Young? with Jonas Fisher. International Economic Review, Vol. 52 (3), pp. 883—912, August 2011.
- Measuring Consumption Smoothing in CEX Data, with Paul Klein. Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol. 57 (8), pp. 988—999, November 2010.
- Consumption, Income, and Wealth Inequality in Canada, with Matthew Brzozowski, Paul Klein, and Michio Suzuki. Review of Economic Dynamics, Vol. 13 (1), pp. 52—75, January 2010.
- Endogenous Debt Constraints in a Life-Cycle Model with an Application to Social Security, with David Andolfatto. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Vol. 32 (12), pp. 3745—3759, December 2008.
- Uncertainty and the Specificity of Human Capital, with Igor Livshits and Césaire Meh. Journal of Economic Theory, Vol. 143 (1), pp. 469—498, November 2008.
- Who Cares about Mortgage Interest Deductibility? with Manish Pandey. Canadian Public Policy, Vol. 34 (1), pp. 1—24, March 2008.
- Human Capital Accumulation and Debt Constraints, with David Andolfatto. Review of Economic Dynamics, Vol. 9 (1), pp. 52—67, January 2006.
- Housing Taxation and Capital Accumulation. Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol. 49 (7), pp. 1461—1489, October 2002.
- Optimal Taxation in Life-Cycle Economies, with Andrès Erosa. Journal of Economic Theory, Vol. 105 (2), pp. 338—369, August 2002.
- Optimal Taxation in Infinitely-Lived Agent and Overlapping Generations Models: A Review, with Andrès Erosa. Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond Economic Quarterly, Vol. 87 (2), pp. 23—44, Spring 2001.
- Associate Editor, European Economic Review, since 2011
- Co-Editor, Economic Inquiry, 2014—2018