Josiah Meigs Distinguished Teaching Professor
B406 Amos Hall620 S. Lumpkin St.Athens, GA, 30602
- Phone Numbers
- Email Address
PhD, Economics, University of Chicago, 1997
MS, International and European Politics, University of Edinburgh, 1992
BA, Economics and History, University of Rochester, 1990
Prior Professional Positions
University of Georgia, Institute of Higher Education, Senior Fellow, 2004 to present
Institute for the Study of Labor, Research Fellow, 2003 to present
University of Chicago, Economics, Lecturer, 1995 to 1997
Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Beta Kappa, 1990
Post-Graduate Fellowship, Saint Andrew's Society, 1990-1991
University Fellowship, University of Chicago, 1991-1995
Jacob K. Javits Fellowship, US Gov., 1991-1995
Sarah Moss Fellowship, University of Georgia, 2003
Teacher of the Year, University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 2004
Richard B. Russell Undergraduate Teaching Award, 2006
J. Hatten Howard, III Teaching Award, 2006
University of Georgia, Senior Teaching Fellow, 2010-2011
Lothar Tresp, Outstanding Honors Professor, 2014.
Josiah Meigs Distinguished Teaching Professorship, 2014
Areas of Expertise
- Applied Microeconomics
- Law and Economics
- 1997. "Crime, Deterrence and the Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns ." Journal Of Legal Studies, Vol. 26, no. 1:1-68.
- 2001. "Racial, Ethnic, and Gender Disparities in Sentencing: Evidence from the US Federal Courts." Journal Of Law And Economics, Vol. 44, no. 1: 285-314.
- Mustard, David B. 2001. "The Impact of Gun Laws on Police Deaths." The Journal of Law and Economics, Vol. 44, no. s2: 635-658.
- 2002. "Crime Rates and Local Labor Market Opportunities in the United States: 1977-1997." Review of Economics and Statistics. (84):45-61.
- 2003. "Reexamining Criminal Behavior: The Importance of Omitted Variable Bias." Review Of Economics And Statistics, (85):205-211.
- Mustard, David B. 2003. "Culture Affects our Beliefs About Firearms, But Data are Also Important." University of Pennsylvania Law Review. Vol. 151: 1387-1394.
- Cornwell, Christopher M., David B. Mustard, and Deepa Sridhar. 2006. "The Enrollment Effects of Merit-Based Financial Aid: Evidence from Georgia's HOPE Scholarship." Journal of Labor Economics. Vol. 24, no. 4: 761-786.
- Grinols, Earl L. and David B. Mustard. 2006. "Casinos, Crime, and Community Costs." The Review of Economics and Statistics. Vol. 88, no. 1: 28-45.
- Grinols, Earl L., David B. Mustard, and Melissa Staha. 2011. "How Do Visitors Affect Crime?" Journal of Quantitative Criminology. Vol. 27: 363-378.
- Cornwell, Christopher M., David B. Mustard, and Jessica Van Parys. 2013. "Non-cognitive Skills and the Gender Disparities in Test Scores and Teacher Assessments: Evidence from Primary School." Journal of Human Resources. Vol. 48, no. 1: 238-266.