The Visiting International Business Scholar Program offers opportunities for prominent scholars from non-U.S. institutions to collaborate and engage with faculty and students at the Terry College of Business. The program is intended to enhance academic research and allows scholars to share their expertise through teaching and speaking opportunities. Appointments span up to two weeks, and the program supports one visiting scholar each academic year.
Nominations can be completed using this online form.
Scholars must be international faculty from institutions outside the United States that are accredited by AACSB, EQUIS, or EFMD. Any Terry faculty member may nominate a visiting scholar. Interested participants may also nominate themselves. Scholars should have enough English proficiency to successfully engage with UGA faculty, staff and students.
Nominations for each upcoming academic year are due by March 1.
Nominations are reviewed by members of the Study Abroad and Foreign Exchange (SAFE) committee, which considers the purpose and goals described in the nomination form, Terry’s current research needs, strategic priorities and other factors. The committee then makes a recommendation to the dean and associate dean for diversity, international and master’s programs. The dean then makes a final decision.
If their nominee is selected, Terry faculty must provide a letter of support from their department head. Selected nominees have 30 days from the decision to accept their appointment and provide a letter of support from their home institution.
In addition to the Terry policies and procedures outlined below, all scholars must comply with the university’s visiting scholar/researcher policies.
Scholars are selected with the intent of fulfilling the program’s purposes. The following activities, while not required, are consistent with the purpose of the program. We encourage nominees to outline and commit to specific activities.
- Collaborate on academic research with Terry faculty and/or students
- Conduct academic workshops for Terry faculty and graduate students
- Teach in graduate or undergraduate courses as a guest speaker or lecturer
- Engage with International Business co-majors through a speaking or networking event
Scholars may be asked to deliver a public lecture during International Education Month (fall semester) and/or International Business Week (spring semester) or at similar Terry-sponsored events related to their research and scholarship, as applicable.
Compensation and Resources
Scholars are not employees or contractors of the University of Georgia. Home institutions continue to provide primary compensation while the scholar is at Terry. However, Terry provides the scholar with a $10,000 honorarium and up to $5,000 toward travel costs and living expenses. Costs of accompanying individuals are paid by the scholar.
The following Terry and UGA resources are available as appropriate:
- Office or cubicle workspace (subject to availability) and access to internet on campus
- Access to UGA research resources (e.g., data, software), subject to licensing agreements
- Temporary university ID and email address for library privileges
- Use of campus transit and local transit (with university ID)
- Administrative visa support from UGA Office of International Student and Scholar Services (fees paid by visitor)
- Access to campus-wide programs and events
- UGA Visiting Scholar Housing
- UGA Visiting Scholar Policy