Areas of Interest
Data Science & Computational Methods
Our group is exploring the boundaries of statistical data analysis, social network analysis, qualitative data analysis, mixed methods approaches, and computational social science – including sequence, text, and network techniques.
- A Multicollinearity and Measurement Error Statistical Blind Spot: Correcting for Excessive False Positives in Regression and PLS. MIS Quarterly, 41(3). , , , .
- Preparing for the Cognitive Generation of Decision Support. MIS Quarterly Executive, 16. , .
- Digital Data Streams: Creating value from the real-time flow of big data. California Management Review, 58(3): 5–25. , , , .
- Identifying and Profiling Key Sellers in Cyber Carding Community: AZSecure Text Mining System. Journal of Management Information Systems, 33(4). , , , .
- Build it, but will they come? A Geoscience Cyberinfrastructure Baseline Analysis.. Data Science Journal, 15. , , , .
- Big data analytics: Concepts, technologies, and applications.. Communications of the AIS, 34: 65–. , .
- Toward Generalizable Sociomaterial Inquiry: A Computational Approach for ‘Zooming In & Out’ of Sociomaterial Routines. MIS Quarterly, 38 (3): 849–872. , , , , .
- Conflating Antecedents and Formative Indicators: A Comment on Aguirre-Urreta and Marakas. Information Systems Research, 25 (4): 780–784. , , , , , , , , .
- Data management: databases and organizations. Athens, GA: eGreen Press, 6. , .
Digital Innovation & Platforms
We study digital innovations and architectures, platform ecosystems, and system development in and between organizations from an organizational perspective, but also from a technical standpoint.
- Platform Synergy: Architectural Origins and Competitive Consequences. Information Systems Research. (forthcoming).
- Innovation among Different Classes of Software Development Organizations.. Information Systems Journal. , , , (forthcoming).
- Platform Desertion by App Developers. Journal of Management Information Systems, 32 (4). , .
- Evolutionary Competition in Platform Ecosystems. Information Systems Research. (forthcoming).
- Evolvable Systems: Through the Looking Glass of IS,. Information Systems Research, 23(3). , , .
- Platform Ecosystems: Aligning Architecture, Governance, and Strategy. Morgan Kauffman. , .
- Novelty-Knowledge Alignment: A Theory of Design Convergence in Systems Development,. Journal of Management Information Systems, 29(1): 13–50. , .
- Digital Innovation and the Division of Innovative Labor: A Dual‐hierarchy View of Complex Product Architectures. Organization Science, 23 (5): 1428–1447. , , .
Health Information Systems
We examine the use and effects of health IT across levels of analysis – individual, organizational, community - using a variety of methods that include both primary and secondary data.
- Capitalizing on Heath Information Technology to Enable Digital Advantage in US Hospitals. MIS Quarterly. , , (forthcoming).
- The Compensatory Role of User Capabilities in Task Performance Outcomes: An Empirical Assessment in Technology-Mediated Medical Consultations. MIS Quarterly, 40(3). , , .
- Open-source health information technology: A case study of electronic medical records. Health Policy and Technology, 4 (1): 14–28. , , , , , .
- An Innovation Ahead of Its Time: Understanding the Factors Influencing the Acceptance of Walk-In Telemedicine Clinics. New Technologies for Advancing Healthcare and Clinical Practices, 326–346. , , .
- Greenway Medical Technologies : The Pace-Setting David of Electronic Health Records. Communications of AISA, 29 (1). , , , .
Information Systems in Organizations
We take a variety of approaches to understand organizational implications of IS and investigate appropriate IS governance and leadership approaches. We engage in intensive fieldwork to explore the organizational ramifications of various types of information systems.
- IT Strategy for non-IT Managers: Becoming an Engaged Contributor to Corporate IT Decisions. MIT Press. , .
- Routines as the Shock Absorbers of Organizational Transformation: Integration, Control, and NASA’s Enterprise Information System. Organization Science, 27(3). , , , , .
- A Knowledge-Centric Examination of Signaling and Screening Activities in the Negotiation for Information Systems Consulting Services. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 17(2). , , , , .
- Fit and Misfit of Plural Sourcing Strategies and IT-enabled Process Integration Capabilities. MIS Quarterly, 39(4). , , , , .
- A Study on Psychological Contract Breach Spillover in Multiple Agency Relationships in Consulting Professional Service Firms. Organization Science, 25 (1): 149–170. , , , .
- The Embeddedness of IS Habits in Organizational Routines: Development and Disruption. MIS Quarterly, 37 (1): 221–246. , , .
- The Effect of Social Capital of the Relationship between the CIO and Top Management Team on Firm Performance. Journal of Management Information Systems, 30 (1): 15–55. , , .
- Causal Explanation in the Coordinating Process: A Critical Realist Case Study of Federated IT Governance Structures. MIS Quarterly, 37 (3): 933–964. , , .
Social Media & Online Communities
We take a variety of approaches, including novel computational methods, to shed insights to questions related to social media and online communities including understanding new forms of interaction and behavioral and organizational phenomena associated with them and how information systems can be leveraged in these information-rich environments.
- Social Media Affordances for Connective Action - An Examination of Microblogging Use During the Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill. MIS Quarterly. , , , (forthcoming).
- The Needs-Affordances-Features (NAF) Perspective for the Use of Social Media. MIS Quarterly. , , , (forthcoming).
- The Dark Side of Reviews: The Swaying Effects of Online Product Reviews on Attribute Preferences Construction. MIS Quarterly. , (forthcoming).
- Protesting Corruption on Twitter: Is it a Bot or is it a Person?. Academy of Management Discoveries. , (forthcoming).
- Is that social bot behaving unethically?. Communications of the ACM, 60(9). , , .
- ). Coordinating Interdependencies in Online Communities: A Study of an Open Source Software Project. Information Systems Research, 27(4). , , , , .
- Psychological Ownership Motivation and Use of Social Media. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 23 (2): 185–207. , , , .
- The Emergence of Online Community Leadership. Information Systems Research, 26 (1): 165–187. , , , .
Sustainability & Energy Informatics
Use of data from sensor networks and other sources to analyze energy systems, optimize their efficiency, and thus improve overall energy consumption or production.
- Substantive or Symbolic Environmental Strategies? Effects of External and Internal Normative Stakeholder Pressures. Business Strategy and The Environment. , (forthcoming).
- Sustainability Performance and CSR Disclosure: The Missing Link. Business Strategy and The Environment, 4(2). , , , , .
- Energy Informatics. Athens, GA: Green ePress. Available from Amazon (Kindle format). Graphics (pdf). , , .
- Green projects: An information drives analysis of four cases. urnal of Strategic Information Systems, 20(1). , , , , .
- Information Systems and Environmentally Sustainable Development: Energy Informatics and New Directions for the IS community. MIS Quarterly, 34 (1): 23–38. , , , .