The Risk Management and Insurance PhD program is designed to develop an understanding of both theoretical and applied aspects of insurance, risk management, and employee benefits.
The Terry College provides an excellent opportunity for those interested in pursuing a PhD in risk management and insurance. Some of the benefits of the Terry College include:
- Consistently highly ranked, the UGA RMI program is currently the No. 2 program in the country by U.S. News and World Reports.
- A recent global study ranked the UGA RMI program among the top 10 universities in the world – and second among public universities — for the impact of its risk management and insurance research.
- Faculty members are among the top publishers in the premier risk management and insurance journal, the Journal of Risk and Insurance. Click here for examples of recent faculty work. View our departmental directory for a complete list of the faculty.
- RMI faculty have received numerous research awards from the Journal of Risk and Insurance, Risk Management and Insurance Review, Journal of Insurance Issues, the Journal of Insurance Regulation, and others.
Graduates of the risk management and insurance program currently teach in leading risk management and insurance programs across the country including:
- Saul Adelman (1980 Graduate; Associate Professor of Finance at Miami University)
- David Cather (1985 Graduate; Clinical Professor of Risk Management at Penn State University)
- Robert Puelz (1990 Graduate; Dexter Trustee Professor of Risk Management at Southern Methodist University)
- Brenda Wells (1992 Graduate; Associate Professor and Director, Risk Management and Insurance Program at East Carolina University)
- L. Lee Colquitt (1995 Graduate; Professor and Chair, Department of Finance at Auburn University)
- William Ferguson (1995 Graduate; G. Frank Purvis, Jr./BORSF Eminent Scholar Endowed Chair in Insurance and Risk Management at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette)
- Randy Dumm (1998 Graduate; Hold Professor of Risk Management and Insurance at Florida State University)
- Tim Query (1999 Graduate; Mountain States Insurance Group Endowed Chair Holder and Associate Professor of Finance at New Mexico State University)
- Kathleen McCullough (2000 Graduate; State Farm Insurance Professor of Risk Management and Insurance and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Research at Florida State University)
- Ryan Lee (2001 Graduate; Professor of Risk Management and Insurance at Royal Roads University)
- Lars Powell (2002 Graduate; Director of the Alabama Center for Insurance Information and Research at the University of Alabama)
- Cassandra Cole (2002 Graduate; Robert L. Atkins Professor in Risk Management and Insurance and Department Chair at Florida State University)
- Andre Liebenberg (2004 Graduate; Robertson Chair of Insurance and Associate Professor of Finance at the University of Mississippi)
- Enya He (2006 Graduate; Regional Director for Lloyd’s South Central U.S. Region)
- Joseph Ruhland (2006 Graduate; Associate Professor of Risk Management and Insurance at Georgia Southern University)
- Steve Miller (2010 Graduate; Assistant Professor of Risk Management and Insurance at St. Joseph’s University)
- Leon Chen (2011 Graduate; Assistant Professor of Finance at Minnesota State University-Mankato)
- Jianren Xu (2014 Graduate; Assistant Professor of Finance at California State University-Fullerton)
Current PhD Students
We currently have several Ph.D. students at various stages of completion:
- Math courses
Calculus: differential and integral
Linear Algebra: a course elementary linear algebra is strongly recommended before taking doctoral level (8000 and 9000) courses.
Typical Course Sequence
|Year 3 & 4|