Dave Chatterjee, an associate professor of management information systems, talked to the Augusta Chronicle about how consumers can stay vigilant about cybersecurity.
He offered the following tips:
- Use cash instead of credit.
- Monitor all financial transactions daily.
- Set up a credit monitoring system to protect against ID fraud or theft.
- Be aware of dumpster diving, where thieves go through garbage for discarded financial documents or digital media. Always shred documents before trashing them.
- Be aware of skimming, in which thieves capture credit or debit card information at a point-of-sale terminal.
- At a restaurant or store, be leery of employees taking a card out of sight. It can be run through a hand-held scanner, capturing information and then used to run up charges on an account.
The full story is available online.