PhD, Strategic Management, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 2006
MBA, Management, University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh, 2001
BBA, Accounting, University of Wisconsin – Madison, 1994
Research Excellence Award, Terry College of Business, 2017
Hugh O. Nourse Outstanding MBA Teacher Award, Terry College of Business Full-time MBA Program, 2015
Professor of the Year , Terry College of Business Evening MBA Program, 2013
Outstanding Teacher, Terry College of Business, 2012
- Corporate Governance
- CEO Reputation and Status
- CEO Succession
Campbell, R., Jeong, S., Graffin, S. Born to take risk? The effects of CEO birth order on strategic risk taking. Forthcoming in the Academy of Management Journal.
Gamache, D.L, McNamara, G.M., Graffin, S.D., Kiley, J.T., Haleblian, J.J., Devers, C.D. Impression offsetting as an early warning signal of CEO self-interest in acquisitions. Forthcoming in the Academy of Management Journal.
- 2017. Higher Highs and Lower Lows: The Role of Corporate Social Responsibility in CEO Dismissal. Strategic Management Journal, 38:2255-2265.
- 2017. Reaffirming the CEO effect is Significant and Much Larger than Chance: A Comment on Fitza (2014). Strategic Management Journal, 38:793-801.
- 2016. Welcome aboard! Exploring the Effects of Directorships in the Executive Labor Market.Academy Of Management Journal , 59(5):1681-1706.
- 2016. Ready, AIM, Acquire: Impression Offsetting and Acquisitions. Academy Of Management Journal , 59:232-252.
- 2016. Understanding the Direction, Magnitude, and Joint Effects of Reputation When Multiple Actors' Reputations Collide. Academy Of Management Journal , 59:188-206.
- 2015. Top Management Conservatism and Corporate Risk Strategies: Evidence from Managersâ€™ Personal Political Orientation and Corporate Tax Avoidance. Strategic Management Journal, 36:1918-1938.
- 2013. Falls from Grace and the Hazards of High Status: The 2009 British Expense Scandal and its Impact on Parliamentary Elites. Administrative Science Quarterly, 58:313-345.
- 2013. Examining CEO Succession and the Role of Heuristics in Early-Stage CEO Evaluation. Strategic Management Journal, 34:383-403.
- 2012. Time For Me to Fly: Predicting Director Exit at Large Firms. Academy Of Management Journal, 55:1334-1359.
- 2011. What's All That (Strategic) Noise? Anticipatory Impression Management in CEO Successions. Strategic Management Journal, 32:748-770.
- 2010. Certifications and Reputation: Determining the Standard of Desirability Amidst Uncertainty.Organization Science, (21):331-346.
- 2009. Under the Spotlight: Institutional Invest and Firm Reponses to the Council of Institutional Investors' Annual Focus List. Strategic Organization, (7):107-135.
- 2008. The Impact of CEO Status Diffusion on the Economic Outcomes of Other Senior Managers. Organization Science, (19):457-474.
- 2006. The Burden of Celebrity: The Impact of CEO Certification Contests on CEO Pay and Performance. Academy Of Management Journal, (49):643-660.
Editorial Board Member, Academy of Management Journal, 2010 - present
Associate Editor, Academy of Management Journal, 2013 - 2016
Editorial Board Member, Academy of Management Review, 2011 - 2014
Editorial Board Member, Academy of Management Learning & Education, 2008 - 2011