The Leonard Leadership Scholars Program provides personalized leadership development through innovative courses, enriching extra-curricular activities, and challenging service opportunities. The student commitment creates and sustains a strong servant-leader culture. Participants in the program will earn the Certificate in Personal and Organizational Leadership.
Note This program is only offered to current Terry College students.
Upcoming Info Sessions
|Date||Event Details and Registration|
|Dec 2, 2015||Institute for Leadership Advancement - Program Information Session|
|Jan 20, 2016||Institute for Leadership Advancement - Program Information Session|
Leonard Leadership Scholars are required to participate in a number of activities outside of the classroom that reinforce commitment to civic issues, service, and volunteerism.
- Program Orientation
- Each spring students meet other new members of the program, learn more about program expectations, and formally commit to program requirements.
- Junior Retreat
- This off-site weekend retreat held in early January focuses on refining personal missions and values, and building deeper relationships with classmates.
- Scholars Service-Learning Project
- Students work in groups to address a challenge faced by a community organization over a 12-month timespan. Past projects have helped over 38 organizations like the American Heart Association, the Boys and Girls Club, and the Shepherd Center.
- Ropes Course
- During the fall of their junior year, students will attend a full day ropes course to enhance team building.
- Corporate Site Visits
- Students visit a company’s headquarters for a day each semester. Typically, students meet with senior level executives who share the company’s leadership mission, learn the company culture, and often tour the premises. Past visits have included Fortune 500 companies like the Coca-Cola Company, Turner Broadcasting Systems, Delta Airlines, and Walmart.
- Leonard Leadership Scholars are assigned a mentor, who are working professionals in their field of interest, and serve as resources for academic and career advice.
The core of our curriculum is a set of three required courses that include personal assessments, the study of leadership paradigms, and the application of leadership scholarship to the understanding of self and organizational effectiveness.
Applicants to this program must:
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.2
- Have completed 45 hours at UGA
- Apply to be at Terry at the same time and will be accepted into ILA only if accepted into Terry
In addition to these eligibility requirement, applicants will be evaluated on:
- Academic excellence
- Demonstrated Leadership experience since finishing high school
- Commitment to participate in a leadership development program
How to Apply
The online application is open from December 1–January 31. Thirty students are selected annually.
- Complete an online application indicating your demonstrated leadership experience including university activities, community service and work, as well as answer two essay questions.
- Send an official sealed UGA transcript to the ILA office (no electronic transcripts accepted).
Note If you are a Terry student you may apply to both the Leadership Scholars and the Leadership Fellows programs, but you will ultimately be accepted to only one.