The Leonard Leadership Scholars Program provides personalized leadership development through innovative courses, enriching extra-curricular activities, and challenging service opportunities. The student commitment creates and sustains a strong servant-leader culture. Participants in the program will earn the Certificate in Personal and Organizational Leadership.
Note This program is only offered to current Terry College students.
Leonard Leadership Scholars are required to participate in a number of activities outside of the classroom that reinforce commitment to civic issues, service, and volunteerism.
- Program Orientation
- Each spring students meet other new members of the program, learn more about program expectations, and formally commit to program requirements.
- Junior Retreat
- This off-site weekend retreat focuses on refining personal missions and values, and building deeper relationships with classmates.
- Capstone Service-Learning Project
- Students are assigned to teams of five to six students and address a challenge faced by a community organization over a 16-month timespan. Past projects have helped over 38 organizations like the American Heart Association, the Boys and Girls Club, and the Shepherd Center.
- Corporate Site Visits
- Students visit a company’s headquarters for a day each semester. Typically, students meet with senior level executives who share the company’s leadership mission, learn the company culture, and often tour the premises. Past visits have included Fortune 500 companies like the Coca-Cola Company, Turner Broadcasting Systems, Delta Airlines, and Walmart.
- Leonard Leadership Scholars are assigned a mentor, who are working professionals in their field of interest, and serve as resources for academic and career advice.
The core of our curriculum is a set of three required courses that include personal assessments, the study of leadership paradigms, and the application of leadership scholarship to the understanding of self and organizational effectiveness.
Those who participate in UGA’s Honors Program receive honors credit for ILAD courses.
Applicants to this program must meet these requirements:
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.2
- Are a rising junior
- Be a current Terry student (or have been accepted to the college)
How to Apply
This program is in high demand and has limited space. Students who apply to this program are evaluated on:
- Academic excellence
- Demonstrated Leadership experience since finishing high school
- Commitment to participate in a leadership development program
Note If you are a Terry student you may apply to both the Leadership Scholars and the Leadership Fellows programs, but you will ultimately be accepted to only one.
The application is available online from December 1–January 31. 30 students are selected annually.
You will use your UGA MyID to access the online application. Type "myid\" into the user name field first. For example, if your MyID is 'hairydawg' then login with "myid\hairydawg"